『Birthday - Tanaka Ryuunosuke』

The date: March 3. The time: 00:00.

From: Ryuu (ΦωΦ)
Subject: guess what today is!
hey (Y/N) are you awake?? look at the date!!!

Time: 00:30

From: Ryuu (ΦωΦ)
Subject: heeyyyy
yooooo are you sleeping??

Time: 01:00

From: Ryuu (ΦωΦ)
Subject: good night
if youre getting your beauty sleep ill just leave you alone then good night babe

~*~*~*~*~*~

"(Y/N)!" Tanaka came storming into the classroom, jolting you awake. "Do you know what today is?!"

You look at your phone, checking the date on the screen. "It's March third."

"Aaaand?"

"It's a Thursday?"

Tanaka's grin dropped for just a second before he regained his usual demeanor. "Yeah, it's Thursday. But don't you know there's something special about this one?"

"...Yakisoba bread is cheaper on Thursdays?"

He sighs, defeated, and flops into his seat next to you. "...Never mind." Taking his phone out of his pocket, he begins to text his best friend. Looking over, you try not to be nosy but the way he holds his phone puts his texts in plain sight.

To: Noyaaa
Subject: hE Y
bro you know what today is right

From: Noyaaa
Subject: march 3
yeah man it's thursday why whats up?

To: Noyaaa
Subject: ugh
really you dont know something special today?

From: Noyaaa
Subject: ??
uhhh curry is cheaper today?

To: Noyaaa
Subject: nO
you and (y/n) are the same in responding with food specials wth

The teacher walks into the classroom and Tanaka tucks his phone back into his pants pocket. You giggle at how frustrated Tanaka looks as he sighs heavily, propping up his chin on his hand.

"(Y/N), did you say something?" He asks, side-glancing at you.

"Nope."

"Hm, alright."

~*~*~*~*~*~

"I can't believe you forgot what today was," Tanaka says as the two of you walk to the gym for volleyball practice.

"Heh, sorry Ryuu. What was it exactly?"

"Today's my birthday! You seriously forgot?"

"Oh so that's why you were freaking out!" You exclaimed, making your boyfriend facepalm. "I'm sorry Ryuu, how did I ever forget? Ah, I don't have a present for you, sorry--"

"It's alright, (Y/N). You're the best present I could ask for anyways." He says, hugging you and placing a kiss on your cheek.

"Is it really now?" You inquire. You had both reached the closed doors of the gym.

"Yeah, of course, babe," Staring at the doors, he tilts his head to the side. "They're usually wide open by this time, why are they closed today?"

"Well, let's take a look, shall we?" Opening the door, you take Tanaka's hand and lead him inside, where it is pitch dark.

There are giggles, shushing sounds, and a quiet 'shut up you dumbass you'll give us away', and you begin to laugh to yourself.

"What the hell is going on here?" Tanaka's voice roars, echoing throughout the gym.

Suddenly, the lights are switched on, illuminating the gym that was decorated with balloons on the floor and a banner across a volleyball net reading 'Happy Birthday!'

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TANAKA!"

The rest of the team, including Shimizu and Yachi, are gathered in front of the net wearing party hats and releasing confetti to the air with party poppers.

Tanaka is standing, shocked at the scene in front of him. There are tears in the corners of his eyes as he snaps out of his daze. "Y-You guys-!" He sniffs. "Noya, (Y/N), I thought you two totally forgot!"

Noya runs over and places a party hat on Tanaka's head. "Of course we didn't! How could we ever forget your birthday?"

You punch your boyfriend in the arm lightly, laughing at the look on his face. "Yeah, we got you there, Ryuu!"

Sawamura extends his arms out to his sides, inviting a hug. "Well? Bring it in, birthday boy!"

Tanaka wipes his eyes and he goes to hug the captain, everyone else slowly following suit, except for Kageyama and Tsukishima, standing off to the side awkwardly.

Walking over, you push the two of them into the group hug. "C'mon, get in there, you two! Don't be shy!"

"Yes that's right, hug your senpai! Wuahaha!" Tanaka's voice rings throughout the gym.

As everyone lets go, they begin to say their individual wishes to him.

"So, you like it?" You ask him.

"Like it?" Wrapping his arms around you, Tanaka lifts you up and spins you in a circle and kissing you before putting you back down. "I love it! And I love you! Thanks so much, (Y/N)!"

"Of course, anything for you!" You pat him on the back. "Come on, let's go get some cake with the team now."

"Hell yeah!"

  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

03/03, happy birthday to tanaka ryuunosuke, tsukiyama shuu, and the walking, talking trash can who writes this book!

yep, it's also my birthday today!

i'd just like to say it's been a good year, and i'm hoping for more to come! thank you everyone who reads and enjoys my work, i love you all soooo much aaaa

before i wrap this up, i'd just like to pose a question to you all in light of the occasion: how old do you guys think i am?

i won't be offended or anything if you're really off, i'm just generally curious as to what you guys think haha

have a wonderful day, everyone!