Chapter 28 - Good days end bad

A/N Plz read the A/N at the end.

Cloe's POV

"Thanks Cloe." He smiled lightly at me and I smiled back. "You really did he-" Carl started but was caught off by the sound of a loud, female scream of worry, sounding through the prison, creating an echo.

"Somebody help! Somebody! Please! Help!" I hear the broken sound of Beth's voice scream. I look over at Carl, feeling frozen and fearing the worst.

Carl quickly stands to his feet, grabbing my vulnerable wrist gently yet quickly and rushes out of the room, pulling me behind him. We run out of his cell, noticing Lori running into the room that Hershel has been occupying. Sophia rushes down the stairs, Dale and Lea following her and they look at me and Carl before we all file into the room to see Lori holding her head to Hershel's chest.

She pulls up, breathing heavily and panicking while me and Sophia try our best to comfort Beth, who cries out loudly, and Maggie, who keeps her cries more quiet. Glenn rushed into the room and examines the problem before grabbing Maggie gently and hugging her, turning her to face the opposite direction.

I grab onto Beth's left head while Sophia hugs her right side also crying, while we all watch Lori look down at the dying man before her. In the blink of an eye, Lori plugs Hershel's nose and presses her lips to his, breathing in the air the man so desperately needs.

She pulls back after what looks like two breaths, and starts the chest compressions. After about thirty, she again plugs his nose, tilts his head back and gives two more breaths. Suddenly both of Hershel's arms raise around the back of Loris neck, pulling her down into him, trying to take her life.

He turned. Hershel turned. He's gone. He's not with us anymore. I cry loudly feeling awful for his daughters, and rush over to Lori pulling her away from the once alive man with the help of Sophia and the Greene sisters. We all look at the man lying on the bed. His eyes are opened and they don't look the least bit dead. Is he dead? His brown orbs shut seconds after and he rolls back onto his back, breathing normally. Wait? Walkers don't breathe?

I soon realize that the man we all grew to know and love had in fact not turned and sigh happily. I look over at Carl to see him holding a gun to Hershel's sleeping body, Lea, who's standing next to him, leans against the door way, paying close attention to the man. Dale looks at me happily and I walk over to him planting my feet right next to his.

We all watch Hershel sleep peacefully, praying that he stays peaceful.

----------------------

"Hershel stopped breathing. Mom saved him." Carl tells his father, who looks at him wide eyes. I look down at the ground from where I stand next to him before Glenn speaks up.

"It's true."

Rick looks from Carl to Glenn, then to me and Dale as he walks in, nodding. I look behind him to see Dad, Shane and T-Dog all walking through the door, making their way to us. Once my father reaches me, he hugs me and pulls me into his side, settling outside of the cell with me.

"Still no fever." Lori says, not paying attention to her husband. He looks up at her sadly and barely nods.

Our leader takes more steps, patting Maggie and Beth on the back gently and soothingly, resting his hands on the top bunk, peering down at the old man who has done so much for this whole group.