Chapter 5 - Thanks

Daryl's POV

"Daryl!" I hear someone softly yell. I look up from the Cherokee rose to see Sophia standin' there givin' me a confused but concerned look.

"Are you okay?" She asked.

"Yeah...... I'm just.........thinkin'." I replied lookin' back down to the flower.

"Daryl? If I ask you something can you promise not to get mad?"

"Probably not. But go for it. I'll try to contain my inner monster." I said lookin' up at her with a little grin. She smiled in return and sat down next to me.

She sighed. "Daryl, did you lose someone?" I peeked up to look at her, my head still hangin' low. I sighed then nodded.

"Can.." She trailed off and looked at me sympathetically as if asking permission to explore my mind with questions. I nodded and she continued. "Can you tell me who?"

I looked at her for a while, thinkin' about what I should say. I look down at my hands and to the flower, that is soon goin' to fall apart along with my heart. I can feel her eyes burnin' into my head but I don't pay much attention to it. I just keep lookin' at the flower, thinkin' of Cloe, as an unfamiliar tuggin' at the back of my throat takes place. Soon she realizes that I don't want to talk about it and changes the subject.

"What's with the flower?"

I glance up at her and answer with a simple "It's important to me."

"How so?" She asks probably scared choosin' the right words to say because she knows I could blow up on her any second.

"Reminds me of someone."

"That person before."

"Yeah." I answer, my voice dry.

She doesn't reply but just looks down at her hands that are on her lap. As I sit, I notice that the RV is completely silent. I bet the others heard the whole conversation. Damn it!! I didn't want them to know!!

"You know, we all lost someone. I have. And you'll always feel sad about it. But.... I can help you.... I can help you with what your going through." I look up at her occasionally to see her already lookin' at me. "I know it makes you sad.... or mad.... or maybe even afraid."

I quickly cut her off. "I ain't afraid of nothin'" I snapped at her. Boy, was that a lie. Ever since me and Cloe were split up I've been afraid of what might happen to her. And knowin' that I can't do nothin' to help her, makes me feel even more afraid.

"Well, I was. Even if your not afraid, you obviously have a lot of other emotions inside you." She lets out a chuckle and I join her. She then continues, her voice gettin' serious. "I lost my father. At the start. Yeah maybe he wasn't perfect and he wasn't very good to my mom...." I knew what she meant by that. He abused her. "but he was family and I loved him. We loved him. Me and my mom. We did. He wasn't always like that. He changed. But nowadays it seems like everyone is changing." She states as she lets her head hang low. I know she's about to cry. I can see it. I wrap my arm around her shoulders and she looks up at me, her eyes glossed over.

"I'm sorry." I apologize.

She gives me a confused look and says. "About?"

"I'm sorry you lost 'em. And I sure as hell ain't makin' you feel any better. I'm really sorry. I was actin' stupid. I shouldn't of snapped at you like that. I was a dick." I'm cut off by Sophias mother, who's name I still don't know. Actually, I don't know any of there names except for Sophia.

"Language." She scolds.

"Sorry...." I trail off, silently askin' her for her name.

"Carol. My names Carol." She gives me a smile and I nod at her.