"No mom. I won't allow you to continue to control my life anymore. Jax makes me happy and so do my friends. If you can't accept me for who I am then so be it. I love you but I have to become my own person and live my own life."

She looked surprised that I stood up for myself. It felt good to be my own person for once. I was happy with myself and the decision I made. A smile crept upon my face which infuriated my mom. I had no time to defend myself. Her fist came crashing against my lower jaw causing a cracking sound. I fell to the ground and saw blood on the pavement. Everyone was starting to stare and some were even recording videos. I was so embarrassed and to top it all off I still didn't have the guts to hit her back.

"Oh hell no!" I heard Jax and Zion yell. They came running over, Zion helping me up and Jax charging at my mom. I felt bad for her because she was about to experience the biggest ass whooping of her life. I looked up and her fist made contact with her lip. She doubled over which gave Jax all the leverage she needed. Her knee crashed into her head and she fell to the ground. She was bleeding and in and out of consciousness.

"Jax! Jax! JAX! Stop!" I was now yelling trying to calm her down and get her the fuck out of there, but it was too late. Campus security came running out ready to have someone arrested. My mother laid there bleeding from the open wound on her head while my mouth continued to pour. I held onto Jax as her chest heaved up and down. I wasn't fully understanding why she was so upset. Zion had a nervous look on her face as tears stained her shirt. The campus security handcuffed all three of us as the paramedics took my mom to the nearest hospital. They didn't ask any questions, just hauled the three of us away. My lip was still busted and bleeding but they didn't care.

2 Days Later

Shai

"Shai Michaels we're sorry to inform you that we are suspending you from school for the remainder of the year. What happened was unacceptable and should not have been conducted on school property. If you want to reapply next year you can do so."

I sat on the other side of the table and listened to the school president read this bullshit ass statement his lawyers wrote up. I was devastated because despite my mindset going into the semester I was determined to get my degree in Art. It was my passion and I loved to draw and paint.

"So you're telling me that my mother popping up on campus is MY fault? The fact that she started all of this and not to mention punched me in the face and busted my lip. I know you see this shit. It's split in half. My face is bruised the fuck up and all y'all care about is your stupid reputation?"

They looked shocked, unable to respond. I had no other family. My dad was siding with my mother and said that I was dead to him for letting a friend assault my her. I was being kicked out of school with nowhere to go. Zion wanted to help me but the school forbids her from contacting me at this time. Why? We're being investigated and because Zion was allowed to continue the semester us talking is a conflict of interest.

Jax was charged with assault and will be attending court next week. Due to her prior aggressive behavior they are holding her in county jail. If convicted she could do six months up to a year for 'viciously' beating my mother. I feel like it's all my fault. I should have walked away and never entertained the situation. My mother has always been about bullshit and will continue to be about bullshit.

She is also petty as fuck. The only thing I got to keep was my art supplies and clothes, but not the ones she bought. I own roughly ten shirts, three pairs of shorts and five pairs of jeans along with three pairs of shoes. I'm 18 and put out on my ass to fend for myself. I've thought heavily about stripping but can't see myself dancing half naked for a few dollars.

"If you have nothing else to say you are dismissed. Please vacate the premises within the next hour. Take whatever you need from your room and leave. We ask that you do not communicate with any of the students, not even Ms. Ty'Janae Williams."

I rolled my eyes and headed towards my dorm. Two campus security guards followed closely behind me. They unlocked the door and walked in first. Ty was sitting on her bed, tears filling her eyes. I mouthed not to worry but that only made her cry more. We had made up earlier that day and we're now on good terms.

I packed the clothes that were left along with my art supplies. I didn't have much and my mom had completely emptied my bank account. It was starting to hit me that I was now homeless with no job or money. I looked at Ty who was now bawling her eyes out and broke down and cried as well. She jumped from the bed and wrapped me in her arms. I let go. Let go of everything that has happened these past two days. One of the security guards tried to break us up, but the other one stopped him.

"Let them grieve man. She's 18 years old and has no one. Have a heart."

He groaned and took a step back. We hugged for another twenty seconds then pulled apart. Ty kissed me on the cheek and waved good bye. They closed the door and escorted me outside of the gates. I had a duffle bag filled with my clothes and shoes and a bookbag filled with my art supplies. I headed towards the nearest homeless shelter, which was a five mile walk. I would take the bus, but I didn't have any money. It was 1:30 in the afternoon and the homeless shelter opened at 5. I pray that I make it.

***

Hey guys 👋🏽 Hope you enjoyed this chapter. I tried to give you a little more than usual. How do you feel about Shai's situation. Is her mom wrong? Leave comments & show love 😘