awkward; eight

"maya...?" someone whispers.

on instinct, i burrow deeper into my covers and shake my head. i hear a small chuckle and i flutter my eyes open to see lucas.

"hey lucas." i speak tiredly as i sit up. i run a hand through my tangled hair and push the covers off of me.

"morning maya." lucas says contently.

"you deserve me." i spoke directly.

"what?"he asks, probably confused as to where that came from.

"i heard you last night, before i fell asleep. you said that you didn't deserve me. in reality, you deserve so much more than me. i'm glad you settled for less than the best, in all honesty. but i said i didn't want a relationship and... and i meant it, i'm still hurt. we can go back to being best friends though."

lucas looks at me with pain in his eyes, but i see hope there too.

"you're great Lucas. when will you see that?" i speak to him before getting out of bed leaving him to sit there in confusion.

i walk to my closet, and pull out a gray crop top, black ripped jeans and a flannel.

"maya, what am i going to wear to school?" he asks, changing the subject.

i glance at the clock mounted on my wall above my door, squinting.

"it's seven thirty, we still have time. let me get ready and then we can stop by your place and you can get ready too." i say to him.

"i'm going to take a shower real quick. Five minutes." i said to him grabbing my clothes and a shower cap.

i make my way to my bathroom down the hall, and let lucas rest up a bit.

-lucas's p.o.v-

i lay down in maya's bed and close my eyes, trying to relax for a while.

emphasis on trying.

my eyes jolt open when i hear heavy footsteps flood into the room, it's shawn.

my hair stands on end, although i try to keep my composure and look straight at him.

"understand this, kid..." he says looking at me dead in the eye from across the room.

"i don't like you. i don't like what you did to may. she may not be my real daughter, but i love her like she is. hurt her again? and i will not hesitate to seriously hurt you, to the point of no healing." i nod my head as my heart picks up pace, fear coursing through my veins.

"i don't care." i said to him.

what the fuck lucas?! shut up.

"excuse me?" shawn asks turning to me with a raised brow.

"i don't care if you don't like me, because maya does. and i'll be damned if you try to come between us. i respect you caring for her, and i know i made a mistake. i know. but i'm not going anywhere. and i wouldn't dream of hurting maya again." i say, not even processing the words falling out of my mouth, but once i hear them; and once i run them back. i realize that this is what i needed to say.

"good." shawn says before turning on his heel to leave the room.

i let out a breath that i didn't realize i was holing in, i sink back into the bed and close my eyes again.

i slowly start to fall back into negative thinking, like... what will happen in school today? what about matt? what is he planning?

all i know is i'm not giving up maya to protect myself.

matt can go fuck himself.

i sigh and open my eyes, can't relax. no use trying.

i get up and get my phone from the seat by the window where i slept.

-maya's p.o.v-

i walk back to my room, fully clothed and drying my hair to find lucas angrily scrolling through his phone.

"woah, what's wrong? pokemon go server just crashed?" i chuckled.

he chuckles along with me but his smile doesn't reach his eyes.

"whats wrong seriously though?" i ask him sitting down on my bed.

"just thinking." he says to me. shaking his head as if dismissing a thought.

"about?" i ask nonchalantly, still drying my hair as my eyes are trained on him.

"school." he says lying to my face.

"you're lying but okay." i say tossing my towel across the room into my laundry basket.

"shawn came in." hesays calmly.

"i knew it." i say slightly angry.

"but i'm more upset with matt, and worried and i don't know." lucassays dropping back on the bed and closing his eyes.

"you'll get through it, and i'll help." i said looking down at him.

i sunk down into the bed next to him, and looked over at him.

i kissed him on the cheek, and sat back up.

"now let's go hee- haw. we're going to be late."
i say before getting up.

i plugged in my blow dryer and finished drying my hair as he sat on his phone.

"okay now let's go, for real." i said grabbing my phone, my leather jacket, my school bag and black and white vans.

i slip on my shoes, put my jacket over my flannel, and started walking out the door.

shawn must have already gone for work, because when we get down the hall he's gone.

i push the thought away and continue walking to the front of the house i take my keys off the hook and we're out the door.

we arrive at lucas's house and the lawn is covered in plastic cups, paper plates, toilet paper, and sadly vomit.

lucas walks past it like its nothing, while I trail behind disgusted as fuck.

"i'll come over after school and help you clean up if you want." i call after him.

"you don't have to." he calls back.

"i will." i state, more to myself though.

i make it into his house, and sit on one of the couches.

"and now we wait." i say slouching back into the couch, and pulling out my phone.

one unchecked message from an unknown number...
pretty little liars much?
~
UNKNOWN
slut.

me
haha thanks xox
~
i exit out my message app and start playing color switch.

the text didn't bother me as much as it would bother most, i've been called worse. and when everyone at school knows your name it's something you get used to.

it just is.

lucas canes flying down the stairs and it hasn't even been ten minutes yet.

"alright, let's go." i say, stepping over a puddle of puke next to the couch.

"yeah, I'm coming over to clean later." i say before we hurry out the door.