Morpheus -3

Sam sat quietly,his eyes closed,his fingertips touching each other.

He opened his eyes and looked at the prison in front of him.White,under his instructions,because creatures in there did not deserve the benefit of colours.

He sighed and closed his eyes,this creature was going to have to be the one to save Sarah.He was stupid to trust one of them before...He wasn't sure about this but it was not optional...Thankfully,he could still hear Sarah's heartbeats,it was erratic,but there.

He opened his eyes and looked at the apprehended ghost. It was pale,dripping in blood,its dress,what must have been peach at some point,was covered in dirt and dried blood.It was levitating in the middle of the room,looking asleep.

He blinked. It was up and standing, as if looking at him.

He had seen a lot of ghosts in his lifetime, they all had the same expression, the one they had while dying, miserable, like some great injustice had been done to them and now they had to spend an eternity looking for justice.He had led them all to salvation.

This one was different, it was smiling with hollow eyes, like when it was dying, it was thinking,'I know how to kill you now', like it had given up all hope and given into madness,like it was not looking for justice, like it was looking for revenge.

He blinked, wanting to scream.

"Well, this is a nice change of scenery", the computer spoke and he found the ghost on the other end of its prison.

He had ordered a lip reading software with voice modulation, claiming it was for deaf people, that they could download into their lenses from his company. What was not made public was that it was also for creatures like this one, that was because, of course, creatures like this one were not made public either.

Sam had a theory, that ghosts existed on a plane very close to the human one, but never exactly in the human one. Like limits, in maths, where zero is the human dimension and ghost existence goes on getting closer to zero but is never zero.

He could lip read, of course, but since ghosts existed in a slightly different dimension, their time was different. That meant that they looked like videos from the 90's that kept lagging. Their movements inhuman.

"I mean I know I'm not likable, but an electromagnetic prison? Don't you think it's too much? Come on you're hurting my feelings", his computer spoke.

He blinked and took a deep breath.

"That's interesting coming from you", he said, trying not to scream like a little girl and run away.

"Really? Why so?"

He could feel its hollow gaze on him. He could feel it smirk, but its expression never changed, a nightmare smile plastered on its face.

"Anyway, I need your help", he stated.

"No"

"If you help me, I will let you go", he lied.

"Sure you will... But still no"

"If you don't... You know what happened the last time", he threatened.

"Doesn't change anything. You will die and turn into dust, these cages will crumble, but I will live on forever"

Something was happening to Sarah, her heartbeat growing irregular, from erratic to non existent in seconds.

She was going to die if she was not saved right at this moment.

"I can hurt you, you know, " he said without any fire in his voice.

The ghost shrugged in the most unnatural movement he had witnessed.

"She was the girl that had come to save you the last time I caught you. If you don't save her now, I will personally make sure you regret it even after I die, even after the universe dies and time doesn't exist anymore"

.oOo.  

Kate looked at the guy sitting in front of her. He was cool and collected. He reminded her of the calm before a storm. Kate took a second to look at the flowers on the floor,then looked at the desk Samuel II deTodoslos Santos she read on his nameplate. She knew his full name and the one written on the desk was not even half of it, since she had known his great great grandfather, but names had power, even remembering them did, so she tried to forget it and smiled.

"Where is she?"Kate asked.

.oOo.  

Sam blinked at the ghost, its nightmare smile growing wider and more sinister was not helping.

"Stuck in the dream world", he stated.

"So you need a psychic, a cupid would have served you better", Kate thought loudly.

"Yet here we are. Look you need to go now", he almost growled.

She did. Honestly, Kate had always hated coming to the dream world, it made even her nightmares come true, her going into Sarah's nightmare would probably result in more harm than good. But if she didn't save Sarah now, Blake would never let her hear the end of it and never literally meant the eternity they had together.