Chapter 6 - An Idea

Chapter 6 - An Idea

At breakfast, I overheard some of the warrior wolves talking about recent events of the region, and they gave me an idea on how I can prove myself to the council, maybe allowing me to run my pack.

"What time is the meeting with the council today?" I ask Mateus randomly, making eye contact. Everyone on this side of the table is in the same setup as yesterday, so he's sitting across from me again.

Mateus blinks, startled that I addressed him directly; I had been avoiding talking to him since I walked out of the kitchen.

"Noon," he reveals.

I nod to show him I understand and continue eating, but now all I can think about is my idea. Is it guaranteed to work?

The guys ask me some questions, and I nod along to the conversation occasionally until I finish eating.

"Well, I'll see you all later," I tell them, grabbing my empty plate to bring to the kitchen.

I only have two and a half hours before the council meeting, so I rush to call Dylan. We argue about it a little, but after going through all the details, he eventually acquiesces.

-------

As soon as the council head, Albert, begins the meeting, I step forward with my back straight and my head held high.

"I would like to participate in the tournament," I declare to gasps of astonishment. A tournament occurs when a pack's alpha dies or wishes to retire, yet he or she does not have an heir. The pack can either agree to appoint someone to the position or hold a tournament, where the competitors of the pack fight, and the winner becomes the alpha.

"I assume you're referring to the upcoming one in Montana?" Albert clarifies.

"Yes, sir," I respond.

"For what reason?"

"I wouldn't compete to become their alpha," I state, "but to prove to the council that I can be the alpha of my own pack. That is the only major reason you have not agreed to give my pack its status, correct? I'm merely a feeble little female? A teenager no less? Who has no potential to control a pack and deal with pack problems?"

"Would the Montana pack agree to this?" one of the councilmen questions.

"It wouldn't hurt to ask," I reveal, trying to hold back a smile. They don't know that I have a few connections within the Montana pack.

"What if she wins?" another queries.

"Come on, she won't win," Alpha Thomas pipes up, once again from behind the council head, and I hear a few sounds of agreement. "At least 50 competent males compete in each tournament."

The smile erupts onto my face; this room underestimates me. "He's right, of course," I lie. "I wouldn't make it through all five tasks."

"How many tasks should she have to get through?" head councilman Albert asks the table.

"Past the third should be sufficient," the councilman to his right suggests.

"Any outside comments?" Albert asks the room.

As I look around, I catch Alpha Hudson's, James's, eye. He winks, and I realize he knows I can do this. My eyes land on Mateus, who sits at the right end of the table, closest to where I'm standing, and although, at first glance, his face shows no sign of emotion, I notice his jaw is clenched.