Chapter 1: I've Got Your Back

Namjoon's P.O.V.

"You nervous for tonight?" My head turned towards the voice, locking eyes with a shaking Jin hyung. I rolled my eyes and sighed, annoyed at his behavior every time the event rolled around each year.

"No hyung. And you shouldn't be either." I said, reaching out to calm him. "We are more than prepared for tonight. We always are. Security is on high alert and we all know how to defend ourselves."

His body relaxed slightly at my touch, but his eyes still showed fear. "I just get so worried about the others. We've had a few close calls in the past three years and I'm just afraid..." Jin trailed off.

"Hey, it'll be alright. I promise." I said, giving his hand a tight squeeze. The boy smiled lightly and motioned towards the living room.

"Well we better get ready. The announcement is going to be made soon." Jin hyung stated, sighing. We exited the kitchen and started for the living room.

Jungkook's P.O.V.

"Hyungs!" I erupted as the other boys laughed at me while I chose a weapon. "I'm not a kid anymore! I'm an adult now, which means it's time for me to protect myself!" I stated matter of factly.

"I'm sorry Jungkook-ah. It's just so weird to see you preparing with us. Normally it's our job to protect you." Said a cheerful Hoseok. It amazed me how even in a situation like tonight he could remain so carefree.

I pulled out a small revolver and a knife, my hands trembling slightly as I loaded the gun and tucked the knife into my belt.

"Is Jungkookie scared?" Taehyung playfully mocked from behind as he noticed my body shaking. I rolled my eyes. So what if this was my first official Purge as an adult? It didn't mean I wouldn't be able to hold my ground like the others.

"No. He's gonna be fine! A tough cookie you might even say." Jin hyung joked as he entered the room. Everyone groaned at the lame pun, but I have to admit it did help relieve some tension.

After everyone had gathered their weapons, we sprawled out across the living room and Jimin turned on the T.V. We all fell silent as we awaited the message- the words many dread and a slight few love.

Yoongi's P.O.V.

The alarm sounded loudly throughout the room, piercing our ears and making my stomach drop. Unlike the others, these nights always scared the shit out of me. I turned my attention towards the T.V., preparing myself for the announcement. It followed almost immediately:

"Commencing at the siren, any and all crime, including murder, will be legal for twelve continuous hours.

Police, fire, and emergency medical services will be unavailable until tomorrow morning at 7am when the Purge concludes.

May God be with you all."

There was silence for a moment, followed by the siren and the bang of gunshots as lunatics began their killing sprees. I looked at the boys, who immediately began jumping to action. Namjoon and Jin double and triple checked the locks and Hobi and Jimin set the alarms and closed blinds. Taehyung, Jungkook, and I began turning on the security cameras and connecting them to the computer.

I took my place in front of the computer. This is where I stay during the Purge, watching the screen for suspicious activity. It's a relatively easy job- we tend to be left alone and never have any problems... Except for that one year...

I squeezed my eyes shut to block out the memory and to prevent my emotions from taking hold. Not now, not tonight.

Hoseok's P.O.V.

I sat across from Jimin, both of us keeping watch of the front door. Suddenly, we were startled by a knock at the door and crying from the other side. I quickly pulled out my phone and dialed Yoongi.

"What the hell is going on out there?!?" I demanded through the line.

"Dude I don't know they came outta nowhere! God, they look rough. Their clothes are torn and I'm pretty sure one of them is bleeding." He said, focusing.

"Don't you start Yoongi! We can't let them in! Not after last time!" I spat, worried for the others and myself. For all I know this could be a trap, a way to get us to lower our guard and make a stupid move.

The voice on the other side began pleading, begging for us to open the door.

"Hoseok, you need to trust me on this. Open the door. I can see other people running towards them, they're being chased. If you don't open the door right now they're gonna die on our doorstep. Don't do this to them." Yoongi pleaded, his mind flashing back to the incident that happened two years ago.

"I don't know..." I trailed off, my eyes flashing from the door to a very confused Jimin.

"OPEN THE FUCKING DOOR!" He shouted.

I quickly flung the door open and two girls scrambled inside, immediately collapsing onto the floor in front of us. I shut and bolted the door, just as I heard the gunshots firing from the front lawn.

"You two have some explaining to do. Now." Jimin said, acting tough but I could tell he was scared shitless. We never took people in, we didn't protect others, we worried about ourselves.

Jimin's P.O.V.

"I'm Ravs..." One of the girls started. I looked her up and down. She was about my age, brown hair and brown eyes. Her clothing was torn and ripped all over with blood stains in various places. "And this is Kylie..." She trailed off. I looked down at the other girl. She was way worse off. Her brown hair was matted with blood and her face was bruised and cut up.

"Oh shit... What happened to her- to both of you?" I asked, kneeling down.

"These guys... I don't know who they were... They just came into our house and tried to... To get with us... We fought back and one of them pulled a knife out on Kylie... I managed to get us out and we just ran and ended up here. Please just help her!" She motioned to the girls stomach, which was bleeding profusely.

"Oh shit! Umm..." I moved my hands over to the girls stomach, pressing down to prevent the blood from gushing out. She moaned out in pain and I looked to her friend. She just looked over in a panic as her friend slowly began to lose consciousness. I pulled my shirt over my head and tied it around the wound, using it as a tourniquet.  "Hobi hyung! Go get the others! I need their help!" I yelled, and immediately turned back to the girl.

"Please don't die on us." Ravs and I blurted out almost in sync.

"I'll live. It's just a little cut." Kylie squeaked out, and I couldn't help but chuckle slightly.

"How are you feeling?!?" Ravs questioned worried. I could tell she really cared for the girl.

"Just peachy." Kylie shot back.

"God, even when you have a life-threatening injury you're still a sarcastic little shit."

We all chuckled. It was as if there wasn't a girl bleeding from a stab wound and we weren't in the middle of the Purge. It's nice to have people that can make you forget about that stuff around.

"Listen, when the others see you here they're gonna be pissed. Ignore them and don't worry about it. I'm not gonna let them throw you out. I've got your back." I said smiling.

I was startled when the wounded girl sat up and threw her arms around me. Through gasps of pain she managed to whisper "Thank you."

This was gonna be a long night.