Chapter Twenty-Seven

*one week later*

(Clem's POV)

Rocky hasn't really changed. She's actually feeling better than she was feeling a week ago. Relocating still is in motion, no luck finding a safe haven for five people to stay safe and secure.
Nothing to help us forget for a minute that we're in the damn apocalypse. We were staying the night in a barn on an abandon property. Rocky and Alvie were sleeping like they haven't slept in a week, which could be possibly true.
Kenny and Lee were sitting in the second story of the barn, taking guard shift from above. Two windows were up there and they volunteered to be stationed there.
I stayed below with the others, walking around and glancing through the windows from the first story. I heard a footstep and tensed, putting my hand on my blade. The next thing I heard was hay being crunched. I prayed that it wasn't some infected animal, if that was possible.
I opened the stable door and a rabbit ran past me and through a hole in the wall. I jumped and held my chest, my heart beating loudly in my throat almost. Blood splattered the hay where the rabbit was. I shook my head in disgust. Next we'll have undead animals. Ugh.
Hay crunched behind me and I unsheathed my katana, only to see Rocky in the faint reflection of the katana's blade. I sighed and turned around as she yawned, "Clem?"

************

(Kenny's POV)

I leaned against the barn wall, peering out of the torn window. Lee set his gun beside him as he looked at me, "You have that face. What's wrong?" He asked. I glanced over at him, "Besides the fact that we're in the fuckin' apocalypse again, it's nothing."
Lee crossed his arms, "Come on, man. You can tell me." I sighed and leaned my gun against the barn corner, "Haven't you noticed that Rocky hasn't turned yet?"
Lee nodded slightly, "Yeah, maybe she wasn't infected." "But she had the symptoms. Then she somehow got better. Something ain't right." I explained. "Maybe it was a miracle." Lee responded.
I chuckled and snorted in disguise, "Miracles don't exist anymore." Lee sighed, "That is true, but we can't give up." I rolled my eyes, "Whatever." He raised an eyebrow, "Do you have something against Rocky?"
I shook my head quickly, "Of course not. It just doesn't make any sense. She was infected. She can't just be cured unless----" Lee noticed my pause, "Unless what?" I put my finger to my lips and gestured below. A walker was in front of the window. Shit. Maybe we can just take it down quietly.
Movement caught my eye from the treelines to the left and I signaled to Lee. He nodded slightly as I inched my hand to my gun. He grabbed my hand before I could touch my gun, "We have to run." He said in a deep whisper.
"Why----- oh shit." I said as my face paled. Walkers must of spotted the smoke from the fire we built an hour ago. Before we came up, we took it down. How!?
Lee and I jumped down and woke up Alvie. Rocky and Clem were nowhere to be seen. Blocking the barn doors, we ran into the next room, a stable. The girls were in there and we blocked off the doors, leaving the back doors open.
"We have to run, now!" Lee ordered as Alvie lifted Rocky onto his shoulders, the two having a silent stand-off. Alvie won as the rest of us got ready to high-tail it.
Alvie was between Clem, Lee and I, a pissed-off Rocky over his shoulder, her loaded crossbow in her hand. Lee checked the back for any Walkers as we heard their moans, the barn shaking a little.
Opening the doors, Rocky and I covered the sides as Lee covered the rear, Clem guiding us. I prayed in silence that we could find somewhere, anywhere, safe for the five of us.