Chapter Twenty Seven

Start from the beginning

"I understand. I hope you realize that I'm going as simple Layla. I don't have the money to buy a designer dress or heels. So I'm going as me with whatever I have in my closet." I tell him, trying to make him change his mind about taking me.

I truly don't want to go. I'd feel so out of place. I've seen things like that on tv and it's definitely not my type of scene. Everyone there usually looks ravishing and stunning... simply flawless. Me being there would be so uncomfortable. The only nice dress I now own, is from H&M for less than 30 dollars along with some heels from target.

I'm not rich and I'm not afraid to admit it.

"I'm so out of your league, Adam." I whisper more to myself.

He stands up and makes his way to where I'm standing, looking... furious? He grabs my shoulders and makes me lock gazes with him. He looks into my eyes and seems to be searching for something in them.

"Layla." He says removing a strand of hair behind my ear. "You're amazing, beautiful and strong. You're not out of my league. I am. You deserve more so shut that beautiful mouth of yours and don't utter another word about leagues and what not. Got it?"

I'm shocked to say the least. Does he really mean everything he is saying to me?

"Layla... Got it?"

"Yes. Got it. Thank you..." I say shyly.

"No need to thank me, babe." He smirks at me.

"Oh no! Not the smirk again." I whine dramatically.

He does the most unexpected thing next. He chuckles loudly with his head thrown back, his mouth wide open showing his amazing row of crystal white teeth while hugging me to his chest. Yes hugging me. Adam currently has his arms around me, still laughing. I slowly let my muscles relax while taking in the sound of his laughter that does weird things to my heart. I love it when he has his arms around.

I've never felt safer than now.

"Layla what are you doing to me?" He asks, his voice low while still hugging me to him.

I shake my head at him, lost for an answer. "I don't know Adam but what are you doing to me?"

He's silent for minute before putting his hand under my chin, making me look at him. "I'm trying to make you fall for me. Isn't it obvious?" He says sounding serious.

What?

Fall for him?

Oh chocolate fudge.

I look into his eyes, still mesmerized, trying to understand whether he was being honest or not.

What if I am falling for him. That would be bad.

So so bad.

"Did you see the other surprise?" He suddenly breaks the silence.

"Huh?"

"You didn't think my surprise would be an envelope with an invitation to some event now did you?"

"Uhm, I did?"

"There's a box under your bed... I take it you didn't read the note I put in the envelope?" He asks.

"Under my bed? What are you? A serial killer?" I ask him with humor lacing my voice.

"Now that's all you got from what I said?" He asks.

"Alright alright! I'll go check under my bed for whatever creepy thing you've put there!" I say, chuckling at the weird face expression he made.

"Hey I'm not a creep and my surprise is not creepy either!" He says, slightly pouting like a little boy.