Chapter 63

I quickly run into the frozen foods aisle and scan the freezers. I promised Savanna we would have a milkshake date tonight and little did I know, I don't have any ice cream at home, and she gets pissed when she gets to my place and I'm not there.

I find the ice cream that I know she likes and grab it, turning fast, only to run into someone's cart. I look up. "Will! Hi," I smile, hugging Alex's father.

"Oh, heyy, Cooper. How've you been?"

"I'm alright, could be better, could be worse but that's life," I shrug. "I'm just picking up some ice cream for a friend," I smile. "How about yourself?"

"Same here, just trying to get something for dinner tonight for Dana to make. We don't usually do too much grocery shopping but we're trying to save money by not eating out just in case Alex needs some money while she's in San Francisco. She called us earlier and said the drive was good, so we-"

"I'm sorry," I cut him off, looking at him. "What do you mean she said the drive was good? Is she..in San Francisco?"

He loses color in his face. "Dammit," he whispers to himself. "..uhhh..I think I should probably go, Dana needs me at home right now. It was great seeing you," he says quickly speed walking down the rest of the aisle and away from me.

Is Alex in San Francisco? Did she seriously leave without telling me?

She wouldn't do that. I know Alex and she wouldn't move six hours away from me without saying goodbye. She wouldn't.

Would she?

I walk to the self checkout line and pay for the ice cream, pulling out my phone and dialing Alex's number as I walk to the car. I get in, buckling my seatbelt and looking at the phone, my finger hovering over the call button. I really don't wanna call her and possibly hear her tell me that she left.

She couldn't possibly have left.

I mean, I know she is still angry with me, but to just leave? She would not stoop that low.

I shake the thoughts out of my head and toss my phone into the passenger's seat, proceeding to drive to my house. When I get there, I see Savanna standing outside beside her car. I pull into the driveway as she walks to the passenger's seat and opens the door.

"What took you so long?" she asks.

"Get in," I say, grabbing my phone and putting the car in park.

She gets in and looks at me. "What happened, you look pissed..? No, you look sad. No, both."

"I just saw Alex's dad at Walmart and he said that she left."

"Left where?" she asks, turning towards me.

"To San Fran-"

"-cisco?" she asks, eyes wide.

"Yeah," I nod. "I wanna call her."

"Do it!" she shouts, grabbing my phone.

"Wait! Wait..-"

"Whaatt?" she whines. "I wanna hear what she has to say."

"I do too, but what if she says that she did leave?"

"Then she left," she shrugs.

"..without saying goodbye..?" I say quietly, looking down at my hands. "After everything, she would leave without saying goodbye..?"

"..oh. Damn, I'm sorry, love," she says, putting her hand on mine. "I'm sure she didn't. I mean..the only way to find out is to call her."

I glance at her. "I don't really want to."

"Then, I'll do it. Give me your phone."

I sigh and hand her my phone, leaning back on the seat and closing my eyes. I hear as Savanna puts the phone on speaker and holds it up to me. My heart drops as I hear Alex's voice answer on the other end. "Hey."

"..h- hey," I say, taking the phone from Savanna's hand.

"We should talk."

"Let's not waste our breath talking. You know what I wanna know."

She sighs and I can picture her running her hands through her messy hair. "I left last night."

I close my eyes, not saying anything.

"Look, I know you're mad, but I needed to do this, Cooper. You know I did, I just need some time, ok? We've talked about this. I'm sorry that this is how it has to be, but that's just it--it's how it has to be. Besides, you said you were okay with me going, remember? After we had sex a couple weeks ago."

I still say nothing, glancing at Savanna, who looks sort of angry. I look away and back down at my lap.

"Hello?" Alex's voice sounds.

"You didn't tell me you were leaving so soon."

"Well, we haven't exactly been on speaking terms since you walked in on me and Callie."

Savanna's mouth drops. 'Walked in on them doing what?' she mouths to me. I shake my head and turn back to the phone.

"So, you could've sent a text."

"That's not something you text to someone."

"Then you could've left a note in my mailbox, sent me an email, got a pigeon to deliver it, I don't know, but you could've told me."

"We're not together."

"Cut the bullshit, Alex, even when we're not together, we're still together. You know that, I know that, everyone knows that. We may not be sleeping in the same bed anymore, but you know you packing up and moving six hours away from me is something you should've told me. No excuses. I may not be the center of your world anymore, but you are the center of mine, and the only reason why you didn't tell me is because you wanted to make me hurt the way that I hurt you."

She says nothing as the car fills with silence.

"Say something," I say, using her trademark line.

"..I'm sorry, Cooper."

I nod. "So am I."

□□□■■■

it's short but i mean that is a nice place to stop it rite?? nice thnx

Toothbrush by DNCE

lit!!

-Missy