Chapter 23

"But whhyyy?" Harlie whines.

"I don't know," I sigh. "I didn't mean for it to happen."

"Why'd you have to kiss him?" she groans.

"I didn't! He kissed me..and I guess it kinda all worked out. Alex and I weren't really meant to be anyways."

"How can you say that?" Emma asks.

"Because it's true. I guess we didn't feel the way we thought we did about each other. I found out she was a snotty bitch, and she found out I was too perfect for her to handle," I shrug.

"Cooper-"

"No," I say.

"You guys have always loved each other, you know that. That's why you went behind your parents back when you first started dating, and why you left your wedding, and switched colleges, and moved in together, and that's why you're going through this shit right now. Alex only broke up with you because she never thought you'd cheat on her, and she's hurt," Emma says.

"I didn't cheat on her," I sigh.

"You kissed Ethan while you two were together," she says. I open my mouth to protest, but she stops me. "Even if he kissed you."

"Maybe we can just stop talking about it. It's been days, move onnnn. We are not getting back together."

"Yeah, you are. She'll realize she hates Holly, you guys'll see each other in the halls or something at school, fall in love, have sex, and get back together, and it'll just be one happily ever after," Harlie smiles.

"I'm kinda sorta already with someone."

"Who?"

"Ethan."

"Ethan?" Emma gapes.

"Yeah..I'm staying with him until I find my own place and..we've kinda grown back together."

"What?"

"Yeah, he's always been really good for me. And plus he doesn't treat me like shit."

"Neither does Alex."

"You know, I get really tired of everyone telling me that Alex loves me and shit. If she did, she wouldn't have broken up with me over something like someone else kissing me, and me pushing them away."

"It's not just that, Cooper," Harlie says.

"Ok," I sigh. "Ok. Well..I wanna go shopping. You guys in or out?" I ask, standing from the couch in their apartment.

"..let's go," Emma says quietly, walking out.

○○○

"You should wear that thing you bought yesterday today," Ethan says as I blowdry my hair.

"What thing?"

"The light pink top thing."

"Eww, no, that's way too formal for school."

"You always dress formal."

"Well, I'm dressing casual today."

"Like?"

"I don't know yet," I shrug. I walk to my bag, and open it. I really need to get my clothes from Alex's, all my good shit is there.

I pull out a long sleeve, grey, tight dress that stops at my knees, a tiny chain choker, and black Vans. I pull on all the clothes, putting my hair into a loose high ponytail. I take out my makeup bag and put on my makeup, putting a little eyeliner on my waterline for the day. I walk outta the bathroom.