Chapter 45

"Alex!" I call after her, following her down the hall and down the stairs. She makes her way outta the front door of the building, walking to the car and getting in the driver's seat, slamming the door. I walk behind her and open her door. "What's wrong, what happened?"

"That's her, Cooper," she sniffs, covering her face with her hands.

"Who?"

"My grandmother."

I look at her. "No."

"Yes," she nods. "Yes, I remember her face, she has gray eyes like me."

Fuck. "..I am so sorry."

She shakes her head and runs her hands through her hair, sighing really loud. "Can we go home?"

I nod. "Yeah. I'm driving though so get on the other side."

She nods too and climbs outta the car, wrapping her arms around my waist. Caught off guard, I quickly wrap my arms around her, her head laying on my shoulder. "I love you," she says.

"I love you too," I say, pulling away and kissing her lips. "C'mon, let's go."

○○○

"Do you want something to eat? Or like a milkshake, I can make you a milkshake? I'll make you a milkshak-"

"No. No, I'm fine," she sighs, sitting down on the couch.

"..are you s-"

"..no. No, I'm not sure and I'm not ok. They thought it was ok to just leave a five year-old girl without a family to foster care. They acted like I didn't even exist, and most of them still do act like it. She can't just come back into my life when I'm an adult and try and make everything ok, because it's not ok and it never will be."

I open my mouth to speak, to tell her that she's right and that I feel for her, but none of that even matters because this is everything she's wanted to avoid her entire life. It's like bringing back the memory of her losing her family, and I wanna be there for her, but I can't because I have no idea what she's going through. I can only sit back and watch the love of my life slowly go through something terrible that she has no control over.

"Sometimes I just think about why I wasn't good enough to be in their family or why they didn't want me. Or, or what I did for them to just not do what we all know my parents would have wanted them to do and take me in. I'm apart of the family too, I have actual feelings..I know I act like I don't, but I do..I do," she says, quietly, looking at the ground, wiping her eyes.

My heart breaks as I stand and watch her, thinking of the many different ways I'm going to kill each and every member of Alex's family once I track them down and-

"..what did I do? Why am I having to go through this? Why can't all of this just be over with? I'm not bothering their family anymore, can't they just leave me alone?"

I, again, say nothing.

"Say something, make me feel better," she looks at me.

Fuck. "..I'm not sure what to say, Marshmallow."

"Anything."

"I love you."

She nods, standing and hugging me again. "The only good thing that's come out of every bullshit detail in my life is you."

I kiss her hand. "They really missed out on something great."

She sighs and sits back down, laying her head on the cushion and pulling her feet up too. "Make me the milkshake."