Chapter 5 - Grief on both sides

Start from the beginning

"Have Val report anything about the woman to me. I want her watched."

"Very well." Charles nodded. " By the way, he left this for you."

I eyed the signet ring. It was the final evidence that made me accept that my beloved Uncle was really gone. I slipped the ring on the third finger of my left hand.

"What will you do now?"

"I will find out more about the woman who befriended my uncle, somehow I cannot shake the feeling that I have to keep an eye on her."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next 5 months passed by like a blur for me but the news of my Uncle's death has affected the whole country.

Some were saddened because they knew how much the people loved him. He was always good with the common masses since his businesses employs local country folks, therefore many of the farmers and workers held their own burial ceremony for the duke.

Most of the elite society were divided on their opinions, some were sympathetic because the duke died alone in a foreign country but the others were waiting for what their sovereign will make of his brother's death.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I attended a press conference with my sister Catherine by my side, unlike me who inherited my father's dark looks; she was blessed with my mother's fair skin, but her pale blond hair and angled green eyes were marks of a Lyonel.

She was also saddened by our Uncle's passing but made no show of emotions as we sat in front of the media press conference that was being held in the Royal Palace's entrance.

It was jam packed and security was tighter than usual. The podium where my father was is flanked by half a dozen guards armed with with guns.

I remained seated as my father addressed the death of his brother in a calm manner. He never offered any words that made me think that he regretted sending him away but moved to the fact that my uncle's official burial into the royal family cemetery will commence.

I fought myself from sneering at the King, who never displayed any remorse when my Uncle's body arrived months ago. As of right now, his remains were cremated and sat in a jar guarded heavily in one of the Palace's inner treasure chambers.

I suppose it would raise some sort of scandal if he does not give Uncle a proper burial.

As the crown prince, I also gave my opinions on my Uncle's passing and invited the media to attend as well.

"Your Highness, what about the duke's heir?" one of the reporters asked. "Will she also come to the burial?"

I felt my father and sister stiffen at the mention of uncle's "heir". I, however, expected this question to pop up.

"We will extend an invitation to her of course, but it is entirely up to her on whether she will attend or not." I bowed to them briefly, thereby signaling that I was done taking questions.

The reporters continued to ask more questions about my Uncle's heir but the security guards block them as I hopped off the podium.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It took a full 2 hours to clear the media from the Palace grounds.

While the guards and palace staff clean the entrance, I and my sister were summoned by our father in the throne room.