I flipped through my philosophy notes absentmindedly, finding a page that I'd taken a few weeks before. I stopped and stared at it for a minute. I put all my notes away and grabbed my bag, heading to Professor Irwin's classroom.

I knocked on the door even though it was a Saturday and he probably wasn't even in there. It never hurts to try.

To my surprise, I heard his familiar voice call out, "come in."

I opened the door and he was sitting in his office with the door open at his desk, grading papers. I walked in and sat at the chair on the other side of his desk, and he smiled at me over his brown framed glasses. "Hello Daisy."

"Hello Professor Irwin," I said. "Am I interrupting you?"

"No, no, it's okay," he said. He set his pen down and stood from his desk to the teapot on the other side of his office. "Tea?"

"Yes please," I said. He poured us both a small cup and sat down again, taking a sip and sighing.

"Is there something you need?" He asked me.

"Actually yes, but not in a way that you might be expecting," I said.

"I was going to ask, because you have well over 100% in my class," he said. "Top student in all of your year, actually."

"Yeah," I sighed. "I haven't been feeling so significant though."

"Listen, I know your English grade isn't the best, but Daisy you are so intelligent, you shouldn't be letting that--"

"No, no, professor, it's not about that," I said, shaking my head and cutting him off. "It's been improving a lot. The tutoring sessions with Hemmings have definitely been helping." My stomach turned over.

"Well I'm glad to hear that," he said. "But, might I ask, what has gotten you so bent out of shape lately then?"

Where do I even start? How do I word this so he doesn't catch on that I'm talking about Hemmings?

"Have you ever found yourself in the position where you are just so attracted to someone, and you know they're attracted to you too, but for some reason the universe said 'no' and you can't be with them?" I said. "Or you just can't find the midpoint, where you just feel like being annoyed with each other is your favorite part of your relationship or whatever is going on between you even if that's not healthy?"

"Daisy," he looked at me and I stopped and stared back and him expectantly.

"I'm not going to be one of those adults that tell you that love doesn't happen at a young age because it certainly does," he said. "And I think you already know to focus on your grades and school more than your romantic relationships so I'm not going to lecture you on that either."

"I just don't know what to do," I set down my tea after taking a swig of it and burning my throat. "I feel so pathetic for having to move on from someone I was never even with."

"That's not pathetic," he said. "I'll tell you what I think. I think that the universe didn't necessarily tell you 'no.' Perhaps the universe only told you 'not right now,' and you're just taking that as a no. Maybe this person that you feel this connection with just isn't meant to be yours right now and you're just jumping the gun a little bit."

I was almost afraid for a moment that he knew who it was, but I couldn't be that obvious. And he would turn me in if he knew.

"I think maybe you should spend some time with your friends, Daisy," he said. "Eleanor love spending time with you."

"What makes you say that?" I asked, though I smiled a little because I knew it was true.

"Well, she is certainly a lot less crazy in my class than she is when she's around you," he said, chuckling to himself a little, probably at all the batty things she does around me. "She's very quiet and reserved in class, but she turns into a wild animal with you. A very intelligent one, she is."

"Yeah she is." I smiled and took another sip of my tea. Eleanor is such a nut but she is so smart and sweet and cute. I love her to death.

"And whenever you figure out whatever is going on with this frustrating other half of yours, I wish you the best with whatever does happen," he said. "And just remember that everything is for a reason."

"Thank you, professor," I said, standing up. "I think I'm going to take your advice and spend some time with my bonkers best friend."

"Don't forget to enjoy yourself," he took my now empty cup of tea with his own to clean. "Have a wonderful rest of your weekend, Daisy. I'll see you in class on Monday."

I left his office feeling as though I should have felt more at peace with the whole situation knowing that maybe someday it would happen. But for some reason I didn't.

-

A/N: I'm really sad about this but I promise I won't keep things this slow and sad

vote/comment/share? x