Chapter 4

I was walking through a hallway I had never seen before. It was deserted, but I could tell that someone had already been down here; the torchers along the walls were lit when normally they’d be out. I couldn’t control my feet; they carried me down the hallway, and that’s when I saw him. He was pacing in front of a wooden door. I squinted. Professor Quirrell? What was he doing here? I could tell he was talking to himself. No…I felt a shiver go up my spine. He was talking to someone. Arguing with someone. My feet carried me closer, until I was standing right next to Professor Quirrell. I could hear heavy breathing from behind the door, and I put my head against it. There was a growling, like a wild beast. No, three wild beasts.

            “What should we do, My Lord?” Quirrell said. I spun toward him. He had stopped pacing and was looking at me. No, I told myself, he was looking through me. He couldn’t see me.

            “You must find a way to soothe the beast.” Said a raspy voice from under Quirrell’s turban, “We must find the stone. I will rise to power again.” I had the awful feeling I knew who was speaking. I hoped for everyone’s sake I was wrong.

            “Perhaps if we got that big oaf Hagrid drunk enough he would tell us, My Lord.” Quirrell said.

            “Yes. Do it, but discreetly…Someone is watching.” Quirrell turned his eyes on the spot where I was, and made his way toward me, snarling.

            I woke with a start, my breathing heavy. I looked around; everyone was still sleeping. I checked my watch; it was three in the morning. I rubbed my eyes as they adjusted to the light. I got up from bed and made my way into the commons. I know we weren’t supposed to be in there this late, but I seriously needed to move around.

            I paced in front of the green fire, wondering on what I should do. It was obviously something worth telling the headmaster, but what if it had just been some crazy dream? It hadn’t felt like a dream. I glanced at the fire. Then kneeled down in front of it, staring at it intently. I was sure I had seen…

            I was about to turn away when I saw them; the phoenix’s' eyes that peered at me through the fire. I was afraid if I blinked they would disappear. I could make out the head of the crow; the beak, the eyes, part of the upper body. I blinked.

            “Caw!” It led out a noise that sounded thunderous in the silence. I glanced around, hoping no one had woken. “Caw!” Leave when the phoenix cries thrice. The headmaster’s note came to me, and I stood, making my way toward the porthole. I paused at the entrance. There was silence. The raven was supposed to cry three times before I left; I suppose it didn’t matter.

            And then I thought better of it; there was a reason why the headmaster had told me to leave after three cries. I waited. And waited. And waited…

            “Caw!” The third cry. I left, making my way out of the dungeons. Then I froze as a thought came to mind; one so horrifying it made my heart beat in my throat. I didn’t know which way I was supposed to go. I took a deep breath and decided to head toward the Dining Hall. When I realized someone was following me. I spun around to see…the phoenix from the fireplace? He was a beautiful young bird, and he tugged on my pajama top, telling me to follow.

            I memorized the way to bird led me. We ended up at a stairway with eagle pillars. I walked onto them and they began to move. I waited for them to stop turning, thinking about how glad I was that I had waited for the third cry. If I had gone on the second, I would have run into at least three of the teachers.

            When the stairs stopped spinning, I found myself in a big office decorated with mostly red and gold. There was a cabinet full of weird liquids, and a basin full of what looked like water. Of what I hoped was water. Dumbledore sat at his desk, writing something down in a book. The headmaster looked up when I stepped off the stairs. He smiled.

            “Welcome, Stella. I see you’ve met my phoenix. His name is Fawks. Come, have a seat. We have much to discuss.”