The Past Matters Not (Kcalb; Gray Garden)

The picture above does not belong to me. It belongs to the artist who drew it. I don't know who, but it's theirs, not mine. Whoever knows who drew this, please tell me so I can properly credit it :3

Warning: Gets a bit dark halfway through the story, but it's only a short recollection. Enjoy~

The Devil of the Gray Garden stood tall in the flower garden near Blancblack Castle. His cloak gently swayed in the breeze, seeming to dance playfully and weave through the flowers and blades of grass.

Today is another peaceful day in their world. After the invasion, Etihw made sure to strengthen their defenses and see to it that no intruders come uninvited ever again.

Although, that was a bit too late to do seeing that they were invaded once.

His thoughts strayed to a certain demon named ________. She was a subordinate of his army when...... Ah, he prefers not to mention it.

Kcalb received word from her that she'll be coming to give him the chocolate cake that she baked for him. He doesn't know the reason, but it seems like the (h/c)-haired demon was in the mood to give everyone baked sweets today.

Setting aside the thought of cake, he continued to stare at the clear, blue sky. Kcalb began to remember those days. It was still a sensitive subject to him, but.... There wasn't a day when he never remembered those times.

It mostly centered on _______. Kcalb would never admit that he grew fond of her in public because Etihw will tease him mercilessly if they knew and Wodahs would eventually make him confess to her.

He wouldn't like that, oh no, he wouldn't.

It was the same subject— how she changed after that. He could imagine her serious and grim expression, eyes blazed in fiery determination, her stiff and combat-ready form, and her hands gripping her spear tightly as if it happened just a few years ago.

Now, she became an eccentric person. _______ was rarely seen frowning and glaring, all you can see from her is a carefree smile and a happy gleam in her (e/c) eyes.

He often wondered how she did it, forgetting the past and moving forward without a beat. It was like what Etihw had done except they didn't have drastic changes.

But then........

"Gack...!! Cough!"

Blood..... She.......

"Ugh.... Pant...."

..... Her eyes dulled.....

"Pant.... Pant..... Cough..... N-no...."

Her breathing became labored......

"N-noooooOOOOOOOoooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! AAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhh! St.... Stop it!!"

Her screams echoed in his ears........

"N......no......... more....... Pant........ P-please........ Ah! N-no, get away...... Get away from me! Getawaygetawaygetawaygetawaygetawaygetaway!"

They......... He couldn't do anything to help her......

"Ah..... aaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Nonononono— No more! N..... no— AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!"

He......

"Hey Kcalb! There you are!"

At the mention of his name, he blinked and his memories of that day disappeared in his mind. He didn't so much as move when he felt a presence coming closer to him.