Chapter 22

Katie's POV

He kissed her. So what? I just brushed it off like it didn't matter. I shouldn't have ignored Chris this morning, but I did because Amy was nearby. If anybody finds out that Chris and I kissed, the whole school would blame me, taking Amy's side.

"Where were you yesterday?" Sammie asked, joining me at lunch. This is the first time we've sat together since before spring break.

"I skipped school," I left it at that. Sammie is my BFF, but if she knew that I was with Chris, rumors would be around, just like that.

"Oh, thats not like you," she said, worried lines on her face. 

"Ah, its fine. I was just upset about the Matt problem."

"About that . . . he might of, um, talked to me yesterday," she mumbled.

"What?" I exclaimed. Everyone in the cafeteria turned their heads to look at us, so I lowered my voice.

"He talked to you about what?"

"Well . . . he asked me how you were. And if you would talk to him today," Sammie rushed the words.

"Oh. Well, I'm not gonna talk to him." 

"Oh, shoot! I left my lunch in Ms. Calibrate's room! Can you go get it for me, Katie? Pretty please!!!" 

I looked at Sammie and rolled my eyes. She always forgets something during lunch, and I'm always the one to get it. In fact, I want to get out of this conversation, so I might as well go.

"OK, where is it?"

"On one of the art tables," Sammie said, smiling. She was already texting someone on her phone, so I left the cafeteria.