Chapter 5

When I entered the library, I looked up at the high ceiling that was completely see-through. Books were everywhere; on the wooden tables, stacked on the bookshelves, even spread out on the carpeted floor. I smiled to myself and shook my head. The librarian, Miss Morris, isn't very organized, but she tries her best.

I glanced around the room, trying to spot Matt, when I see him waving at me from a table near the back.

"Hi," I said. He smiled and pulled out the chair for me. "For you, Miss Marlon," Matt said in a low, husky voice. "Why, thank you very much," I giggled. Then he sat down and took out his textbook.

"Okay, so before we begin, I need to know the area where you struggle in most," he said. I thought in my head and came up with an answer.

"Algebra."

"Is it just hard or do you not understand it?"

"Both."

Matt laughed and I started to laugh with him. All of a sudden, the speaker went off in the library.

"Miss Marlon and Mr. Garner, please stop laughing and go back to your work, or whatever it is you students do these days," Miss Morris said on the intercom.

"Oh my god, she did not just say that, did she?" I asked, shaking with laughter. "Um, I think she did," Matt whispered, trying to conceal the laughter. When we calmed down, he looked at me with his emerald eyes.

"You have a beautiful laugh," he said, blushing. I started to get this feeling inside of me that I only got when I was with Reese Keeling, my ex. Oh my god. Do I like Matt?

"Um, thanks. Your laugh is nice, too," I mumbled, looking down. I promised myself that I wouldn't get a boyfriend till senior year, and so far I have kept that promise. I'm a junior. But if I let things happen with Matt, my heart has more of a chance to be broken again.

"Katie, are you OK? Did I say something wrong?" Matt asked, his voice soothing me. I fumbled with words as he leaned closer to me, taking my hands in his. I was forced to look into those beautiful eyes.

"Hi," he whispered. "Hi," I said quietly. We both smiled, and he dragged his chair next to mine. 

"OK, I think we should start studying. The second part of the exam is tomorrow," Matt said. I nodded and flipped to page 331 in the textbook.

"Let's start with word problems. Read number five," he said. 

"'A shirt costs twelve dollars after a fifteen percent discount--" I stopped breathing as Matt slid his hand into mine under the table. I quickly glanced at him, but he was reading the problem, smiling to himself.

"Are you gonna continue, or should I read the rest?" Matt asked. I shook my head and started from the beginning.

"'A shirt costs twelve dollars after a fifteen percent discount. What was the original price of the shirt?'" 

"Now, there is four possible answers. $14.12, $15.00, $10.20, and $14.50. Try to solve it and give me the answer," Matt said in a reassuring voice.

As I wrote down the equation and tried to solve it, Matt slowly rubbed my arm, sending shivers through my body.

"Are you okay?" he asked. 

"Uh, yeah, the answer's $14.12. I need to go, um, eat lunch. I promised Sammie I would sit with her and Sarah," I said, quickly packing everything in my backpack. Matt was clearly confused, and I was clearly uncomfortable. But he didn't need to know that.

"Again, thank you so much for the help. I'm sure I'll ace this exam," I smiled at him and pushed in my chair.

"Oh. OK. If you ever need any help, just ask," Matt said. We were both standing next to the table, not sure whether to hug or give a handshake. I decided to give him a quick hug.

"Thanks. Bye," I said, waving as I left. 

When I reached the library doors, I turned back to see Matt sitting with his head on the table, arms covering his eyes.

Oh my god, what do I do?