Initials {26}

I watched in absolute horror as Mr. O’Dell kicked Eli, screaming. Eli covered his head and whimpered. Mr. O’Dell forced him to his feet and began to punch him. Eli stumbled but didn’t fight back.

                Mr. O’Dell knocked him back to the ground and placed his foot on Eli’s neck before growling something at him. He yanked him to his feet and dragged him off towards the stairs.

                I ran to the front door and forced myself to calm down. I knocked on the door with Eli’s phone back in my hand. Mr. O’Dell answered and smiled at me. “Hello Sam!” I hesitated. “Is Eli here?” I asked, deciding I didn’t want Mr. O’Dell to have Eli’s phone.

                He sighed and ran a hand through his hair. “He is. I’m sorry Sam but I think he wants to be alone. This whole thing with poor Davey is really hurting him. I’ve tried to talk to him but he really wants to be alone right now.”

                “Oh,” I said quietly. “It’s alright.” He gave me a small smile. “I’ll tell him to call you when he’s ready, okay?” I nodded. “Thanks Mr. O’Dell,” I said and waved before walking away.

                I glanced back as he shut the door and felt fear rising in me.

                Eli wasn’t safe.

                                                                                ***Eli’s POV***

                “Shit,” I grumbled, realizing I left my phone at Sam’s. I laid on my floor, too sore to pull myself onto my bed. Someone had knocked at the door but my dad must have sent them away.

                After being positive he wasn’t going to come into my room, I pulled out my picture of mom. “I wish…” I bit my lip and squeezed my eyes closed.

                I wish you were here mom.

                She was gone. She wasn’t coming back. I would never see my mom again. Even after nearly 3 years, that knowledge still sent unimaginable amounts of agony rocketing through me. I suddenly longed for her to be here. For her to promise me that Davey would be alright and that everything would be fine.

                “Mom,” I whispered, staring at the picture in sadness. Why? Why couldn’t it have been my dad? Why did it have to be my mom? Why did someone so kind, so good, so nice, and so caring have to die while her bastard of a husband lived?

                I allowed nightmares to consume me as I fell asleep on the floor.

                I woke up in the morning and gently placed the picture of my mom back before getting ready for school. Dad would make me go. I left my room and hurried out the front door. The bus came and I got on. Kids watched me carefully as I sat down by myself.

                I got to school and stared longingly at the spot I usually met up with Davey. I sighed. “Eli!” I spun to face Sam as she came over to me. She held out my phone. “I tried to bring it to you last night. Your dad said you wanted to be alone.” Something flashed in her eyes as she spoke.

                I curiously took my phone. “Thanks. Yea, I wanted to be alone. I’m better now.” I forced a smile and wrapped my arms around her. She hugged me back. She pulled away and pointed to my face. “What happened? That wasn’t there when you left my house.”