Initials {17}

I stared at Eli curiously. “What?” I asked, kind of getting nervous. He chuckled. “Calm down. I just wanted to know if you want to hang out tonight.” I relaxed a little. “Oh. Sure!” He smiled. “Awesome! We can go grab some food and then go see a movie. Sound good?” I nodded and smiled at him. “Yea.”

We went back to the table and sat down. Brad glared at Eli all the way through lunch. The school day hurried by and Eli rode the bus home with me. I helped him with his math and we put our shoes on to leave.

“When will you guys be back?” Mickey asked, eyeing poor Eli suspiciously. I shrugged. “Soon. I’ll text you if I need anything.” Mickey nodded, never taking his eyes off Eli.

We left the house and Eli chuckled. “Your brother hates me.” I bit my lip and shrugged apologetically. “He doesn’t hate you Eli. He’s just, you know, overprotective.” Eli just smiled. “A lot of people hate me. I don’t care.”

“Um…Eli?” “Yea?” “Why do you hang out with Davey?” He got a thoughtful expression. “I don’t really know. Guy’s an ass. We’ve just been best friends since Kindergarten.” I tried to imagine Davey as a little kid. “Was he mean back then too?” Eli laughed. “Duh. He pushed a kid off the monkey bars for stealing his snack.”

Wow. He was really messed up, wasn’t he? “What about you?” I asked quietly. Eli rolled his eyes. “I wasn’t that violent! The worst I did was paint my teachers face when she got up close to yell at me.” I laughed and he smiled proudly.

He led me to a nice looking restaurant. We went inside and a man smiled at us. “Little Eli O’Dell! How are you?” he asked, coming over to us. Eli smiled at him and shook his hand. “I’m good Tim. How are you?” “I’m great! You hear for a bite?” Eli nodded and pointed at me. “My friend and I.” Tim nodded and shook my hand.

“Well, it’s on the house little Eli! As long as you agree to deliver this letter to your father when you leave. I was planning to do it, but since you’re here…” Eli nodded and took the letter.

We sat down and ordered. “You have connections?” I asked, raising an eyebrow. Eli nodded. “Yea, my dad owns a big company. We have a lot of connection. And Tim's a good friend of my parents. Always has been.” He looked at the letter and then looked at me apologetically. “Sorry. Hope you don’t mind running to my dad’s office to drop this off.” I shook my head. “It’s fine.”

The food came and we ate and talked a bit. “That was really good,” I said when we had finished. “I’m glad you like it!” he said and held the door open for me after waving to Tim. We walked outside and he led me to a large building.

We went inside and he led me to an elevator. We got in and he pressed a button to bring us to the top. “The boss is always at the top,” he said, rolling his eyes and smiling at me.

We got out and Eli led me to an office. He opened the door and his dad looked up from a desk where two people were sitting in front of him. “Eli! What are you doing here?” his dad asked curiously. “Tim wanted me to drop this off,” he said and handed his dad the letter.

“This is my son Eli and his friend Sam,” Mr. O’Dell introduced. We said hello to the two women. Eli shook their hands and walked over to me. “Let’s go,” he whispered.

He grabbed my hand and led me out of the building. “Your dad is so nice Eli,” I said. He nodded. “Yea,” he said quietly. “Something wrong?” I asked, frowning. He glanced at me and shook his head. “Nah.” I gulped.

“Eli…what’s your mom like?”

He sighed. “Why do you want to know?” I shrugged. “I’ve never met her before. I’ve only met your dad.” He ran a hand through his hair. “You won’t meet her,” he said at last. His tone had gone flat.

I looked at him with curiosity screaming in my eyes. He glanced at me. “Why?” I asked quietly. His eyes went emotionless as I asked. I realized that we were still walking.

“She’s dead.”

My eyes widened a little. “Oh Eli,” I whispered. He held up his hand. “This is why I don’t tell people. I don’t want sympathy for it.” “Sorry,” I said quickly. He shrugged. “It’s alright. She died when I was 12. Just a few days before my 13th birthday. My dad took it hard.”

“Did you?” I asked and mentally kicked myself. That was so rude to ask. He gave a dry laugh. “Yea. Contrary to popular assumption, I have feelings. I loved my mom.” He shoved his hands in his pockets and sighed. “Well this night just turned depressing.”

I was dying with curiosity to know how she had died, but I could tell it was hurting Eli to talk about his mom. “It’s getting late,” I said with a sad sigh. “Mickey’s going to get worried. I’m sorry Eli.” He gave me a smile. “I’ll still see you in school tomorrow. Mind if I sit with you again tomorrow?”

“What about Davey?” “Fuck him. He’ll find someone else to sit with.” I laughed. “Yea, you can sit with us again.” He smirked. “Yay!” He reached into his pocket and produced himself a cigarette. I frowned deeply. He noticed my expression and gave an apologetic smile.

“Sorry. I won’t smoke.” I gave him a small smile. “It’s bad for you.” “I know. Addiction and all that, though.”

He walked me to my house and smiled. “I’ll see you tomorrow Sam,” he said. I smiled at him. “Can’t wait,” I said and stuck out my tongue. He laughed. “Feisty.” I chuckled. We smiled at each other for a few seconds before Eli slowly leaned in.

He gently pressed his lips to mine.