EPILOGUE

"I'm sorry, Max," River's voice cracked. The two girls were now sitting on a bench facing a purple lake. "I never meant for any of this to happen, I swear."

Maxine tightened her jaw, her sight fixated on the steady ripples in the lake caused by the gentle breeze. "This lake reminds me of the one I drowned in."

"Yeah," River let out a shaky sigh. "When they found your body in the lake not far from the hospital hours after you went missing, my heart broke. I almost couldn't breathe when Gabby called me and delivered the news. My whole world stopped. I didn't know what to do. Not that I could do anything anymore. It was all too late."

"You look beautiful in that dress. You look like my mom," Maxine finally tore her gaze away from the view in front of her and smiled over at River. "Milton, I told you to remember that no matter what happens, it's not your fault."

"It is," River started sobbing. She ducked her head.

"I still love you," Maxine gently lifted River's chin and she leaned forward to kiss the latter's lips. She broke the kiss after a few seconds and their foreheads rested against each other's.

"You do?" River asked nervously.

"Yes, Riv," Maxine nodded. "Maybe you were wrong about something. Maybe you made a mistake by falling in love with me. But you were right about one thing – I genuinely loved you. It was real and it came from me. It wasn't a product of the spell. Or maybe it partly was, I don't know, but I can still feel it in my heart. I don't love you any less, not even after everything you just told me."

River straightened up and her girlfriend did too. She reached out to hold Maxine's hand in hers and wiped her tears away with her free hand. "Well if it's any consolation, I'm dead too now."

"So, we're even?" Maxine gave a half-smile.

"We're even."

"Truce?"

"Truce," River chuckled.

"Well then I guess this is my peace offering," Maxine leaned in again and kissed River's lips, cupping the girl's face in her hands.

River pulled away mid-kiss. With panted breaths, she whispered. "I love you, Hoffman. God, it feels so good to say that without having to face any consequences here."

"Too early to tell, I guess?" Maxine pursed her lips and shifted her gaze to the top of River's head.

River snapped her head to the back and her eyes widened. "Mom. Dad."

Maxine stood up from the wooden bench and managed a polite nod at River's parents. She found herself in awe standing in front of the family and as she inspected Mr and Mrs Milton, she started to make out the resemblance between the couple and their daughter. Mrs Milton looked very Hispanic in contrast with Mr Milton, with her olive complexion and frizzy curls. When she smiled, dimples showed in her cheeks. Mr Milton, on the other hand, was a white guy with wavy auburn hair. He was tall, sturdy and he looked very handsome dressed smartly in his brown suit. He held Mrs Milton by the waist as they stood side by side; she was clad in a simple black silk cocktail dress. They both looked youthful, similar to the family portrait Maxine remembered River showing her before.

"I thought you'd want to see them," Maxine spoke up again, smiling down affectionately at River. "It's amazing how you can get what you wish for here in a split second, even without having to verbally wish for it."

"Don't go," River clamped her fingers around Maxine's wrist.

"Meet me here when you're done," Maxine wriggled her wrist free and in return she gave River's hand a reassuring squeeze. "For now, there's a lot of catching up for you to do with your parents. Besides, my mom's waiting for me over there too."

River turned her head to where Maxine gestured. She noticed the same woman crouching in front of Maxine earlier standing in the near distance. She felt Maxine's hand slowly letting go and she stood from the bench as well to give the girl a hug. "Thank you, Hoffman."

"See you soon, Milton," Maxine gave a quick peck on River's cheek and brushed past the girl and her parents. The family looked over as Maxine ran into her mother's arms.

"So, ready for your punishment, angel?" Mrs Milton grinned.

River furrowed her eyebrows. "For what? You did the same thing to dad!"

Both Mr and Mrs Milton glared down at their daughter. The girl managed an awkward smile. "Fine. But can I at least get a hug from the two of you first?"