PROLOGUE

Maxine's eyes shot open and she gasped for air. Her struggle to breathe again subsided after a few coughs forcefully escaped her lungs. She held her chest with both of her hands as she sat with her legs crossed in the middle of a field of pink grass.

"What on earth..." She ran her fingers over the grass lightly, attempting to pluck a blade of it when she realised that the bruises on her right knuckles had completely vanished. As Maxine lowered her head slowly and squinted her eyes to examine her hand closely, the echo of a distant but familiar voice startled her.

"Your injuries are nonexistent here," the familiar voice said. It was the voice of a woman Maxine recognised too damn well, and she frantically scanned her surroundings for the owner of the voice. A cold hand cupped Maxine's left cheek and the girl froze. "I'm here, my love."

Maxine turned her head and her gaze fell upon the middle-aged beauty in front of her. The woman was almost a reflection of herself, with the exception that she was older. She had long thick black hair, a pair of dazzling grey eyes and pale skin - all of the key physical attributes that matched Maxine's. The girl gathered all the courage she could just to ask, "Mama?"

The woman merely nodded as a small warm smile spread across her lips. The gentle breeze blew in her hair as she crouched in front of Maxine. She was wearing a flowy long-sleeved lace white dress, a dress Maxine remembered clearly too. A dress she had always loved to see her mother wear.

"Tell me I'm not dreaming," she reached out to push a strand of her mother's fallen black hair behind the latter's ear. Her right hand fell on her mother's shoulder, as she let the back of her hand feel the lacy sleeve of the white dress.

"You're not dreaming, Max," her mom answered, before the smile on her face earlier slowly disappeared. "Because you're dead."

"W-what?"

"You heard it. You're dead, Maxine. That girl you loved so much, she killed you."

"Claudia?" Maxine asked, her voice shaky. The mere mention of that name was enough to bring back the stinging pain in her heart.

"No. River," her mother replied sternly.

Maxine widened her eyes at the answer. "River... Milton?"

"Yes. Me," the owner of the name answered. Maxine snapped her head to the right, and she caught sight of a female figure clad in the same white dress as her mom approaching her direction.

"What is she doing here?" Maxine turned back to her mother, but the latter was no longer there. She panicked at her mom's sudden disappearance, considering the fact that she still had so many things she wanted to say to her mom.

River took the exact spot where Maxine's mother was moments ago. She reached out and held the girl's face in her hands. "Max. Max, look at me. She'll be back. I promise. Just let me explain everything first."

"I don't care, Milton!" Maxine swatted River's hands away, tears forming in her eyes. "I just want to see my mom!"

River sobbed, as tears fought their way out of her own eyes. Maxine finally stood up and started jogging the other way, and River pushed herself up before she began pursuing her girlfriend.