TWO

Maxine

I passed my drink to Britt and told her to hold on to it for me. Squeezing my way through the partying crowd, I managed to get out of Club Monet and ran after Claudia, catching her by the wrist.

“Let me go, you asshole!” She struggled to free her left wrist from my grip. I only tightened the grip and grabbed her chin carefully with my free hand.

“Babe you need to calm down,” I said. “She was just an old friend who wanted to say hi. Britt and Gabby knew her too.”

Claudia scoffed. “I’m not stupid, Max. She kissed you. I saw it with my own damn eyes. Was that why you sent me away in the first place to get you a drink? So that you could have some time alone with her?!”

“Like you said, she kissed me. I didn’t kiss her,” I answered matter-of-factly.

“You’re unbelievable! This is all Britt and Gabby’s influence, isn’t it? You never disrespect me when they’re not around,” Claudia finally succeeded in freeing her wrist.

“Don’t ever say things about my friends like that ever again,” I hissed, my fists clenching by my side. “I hate it.”

Claudia grabbed the collar of my denim jacket, pulling me closer before shoving me away hard I almost lost my balance. Through gritted teeth she said, “And I hate you.”

“Good,” I shrugged and straightened my jacket before turning away. As many other times before, within a few seconds a change of mind happened and I spun back around, only to see my raging girlfriend stomping off. I proceeded to chase after her but just as I took my first step, I felt a hand tug on my right elbow.

I turned my head and Gabby shook hers at me firmly. “Let her go, Max.”

“No you don’t understand,” I sighed.

“I do. It’s your birthday. That’s what I understand. Now come on, everyone’s waiting for you inside. It’s your night. Do I really have to beg you?”

My best friend lowered her hand from my elbow and interlocked her fingers with mine. I studied her pretty freckled face and the crimson hair that was tied up in a neat ponytail. She gave me a questioning look and I gave a weak smile in return. I had known this girl since I was thirteen and most of the time she was right about most things.

She was right about it being my birthday. Out of all days this was the day where I deserved to be spared of a relationship drama. They say when you love someone you’ll make exceptions for them. So why wasn’t Claudia making the exception of not picking on me on my special day? Why wasn’t she trying to be tolerant of the surroundings just because it was my birthday?

Throughout the past year I had made tons of exceptions for her. I was aware of her condition and tolerance was an understatement for my behaviour towards her. At first I did it because I sincerely loved her and I didn’t want to lose her but it soon turned into pity. Now it was just a dreadful chore. Some days I woke up wanting to leave all of this behind, but also most days she beat me to it first.

“Get me drunk. I need it,” I said expressionlessly. Gabby nodded, smiling as she turned and pulled me back into the club.

If my girlfriend was going to dump me again for the umpteenth time, on my birthday, she might as well dump me when I’m not sober.