SEVENTEEN

River

It was Monday again and I was just zoning out at my locker waiting for Maxine to come with my breakfast and walk me to class as usual. I stood with my back leaning against the locker, enjoying being in a daze until I felt a hand tap my shoulder lightly.

"Morning, Milton. I'm sorry I'm late," Maxine appeared in front of me. I noticed that she looked paler than usual. "Don't know why traffic's a bitch today. Here's your breakfast."

"Thank you," I muttered. Maxine took the books from my arm and gestured for us to go. "Wait!"

The girl was already two steps away from me when she paused and turned around.

"What's wrong, Milton? You okay? You forgot a book?"

"No," I pouted. "You forgot to hug me."

That earned Maxine's smile. She facepalmed herself before walking over to me and suffocating me with a tight hug. I pinched her stomach playfully and the hug loosened a bit. As she was slightly taller than me, I nuzzled my nose in the crook of her neck as she rubbed my back gently with her free hand. I would be lying if I said I wasn't enjoying being this close to Maxine. In fact this form of intimacy so far had given birth to baby butterflies fluttering wildly in my gut everyday.

"You're going to be late for class, missy," Maxine whispered. I shook my head in her neck as if telling her that I didn't care and she tried to pry my hands off. "Come on. We can go on a date and I'll let you hug me like this all day, okay?"

I immediately let go of her at that remark. Maxine obviously saw that I was blushing uncontrollably but I assumed she had gotten used to it so I ignored that and walked ahead of her. She caught up with me but didn't say anything else.

A tall blonde guy bumped into my shoulder hard and I winced at the pain. He didn't even turn to apologise. "Wow, thanks."

"Hey asshole! Where'd your manners go?!" Maxine yelled at the dude. He turned around and gave her an incredulous look. I looked up at her and gave her one too. Her face flushed with fury.

"You talking to me, woman?" The guy pointed his index finger to his own chest.

"Yes I'm talking to you, boy," Maxine growled. "Now do you want to apologise to this lady or not?"

The blonde guy scoffed. "Or else what?"

"Are you really asking that?" Maxine scoffed back. She took a step towards the guy. "Do you know who I am?"

My eyes widened and my heart pounded when she asked that question. The last time I heard Maxine ask that back in kindergarten, someone got horribly injured right after. She continued moving closer towards the guy and surprisingly he took one step back with every step forward she took. The sight actually amused me and I really wanted to just watch them but I knew how things would wind up.

"Well if you don't then you're going to know today!" Maxine yelled. I saw her fists clench and she was about to charge at the guy when I yanked her by the elbow.

"Hoffman, don't!" I shook my head firmly. "It's fine. Let it go. I'm going to be late for class."

Maxine turned back at the guy and he scrambled off. I suppressed a laughter and tugged again at Maxine's elbow. She huffed and we walked to my classroom, with her just being silent. When we finally reached my classroom, I hugged her and patted her cheek playfully before she leaned in to kiss mine.

"Hoffman, you're burning up," I touched her cheek again and then her forehead with the back of my hand. "Are you having a fever?!"

Maxine shrugged indifferently. "I don't know. But I do have a bad headache."

"Well then you should go hom-"

"I'm fine, Milton. I promise. I gotta go. I'm running late for class myself. I'll see you later okay," she ruffled my hair and hurried off, massaging her forehead on her way.