TWENTY-FIVE

River

I agreed to stay in school with Maxine after lecture ended to watch the boys practice football one fine Wednesday afternoon. As Maxine's classes ended one hour later than I did that day, I decided to drive to the nearest fast food restaurant to grab us a couple of burgers and the milkshake Maxine was adorably craving for. When I returned to campus and trod my way into the football field, Maxine was already there sitting on the front row bleachers with Robbie.

"Hola mamacita," Robbie peered up at me, his eyes squinting because of the sunlight. "Which one of those is for me?"

"None," I giggled, dodging his reach.

Maxine tapped her friend's shoulder in a comforting manner. "Thou shalt not despair, comrade. I will take you out for all the burgers in the world soon."

"And I shall tag along too," I said smugly, lowering myself onto the space beside Robbie.

"Well at least I'll be getting free burgers," Robbie shrugged, before he stood and adjusted his man bun. For a guy who was in the football team, he sure was vain. "Gotta get back to practice. Don't fall in love too much, ladies. With me, I mean."

Maxine gave the guy a light kick on his shin, before he jogged over to his teammates on the field. I passed Maxine the chocolate milkshake she had been yearning for. Her light grey eyes lit up and her lips curved into a toothy smile. She clasped the cup in between both of her palms and took a long sip from the pink straw. For the first time in my life, I was jealous of a piece of straw.

"Ahhh," Maxine said in relief after she finally took her lips off the straw. I reluctantly tore my stare off her mesmerising lips. "I have been waiting for this moment for so long! Thanks, Riv. You're a lifesaver."

I grinned and ruffled her hair playfully. She raided the brown paperbag in between us for her burger. She handed me mine too and we started eating while watching the boys tackle each other. "Robbie's a nice guy. Why doesn't he have a girlfriend? Does he have a crush on you or something?"

"Highly possible considering how irresistible I am," Maxine joked, giving me a teasing look. I wanted to tell her I agreed. She was extremely irresistible. I just didn't want the girl to get big-headed about it yet.

"Or he could be gay," I shrugged, stealing sips of Maxine's milkshake even though I had my own cup of soda.

"Extremely possible actually," Maxine nodded enthusiastically. "He's just so vain, it kinda reminds me of his cousin Gabby. Speaking of whom, you should totally meet her soon. And Britt too."

"Your best friends? I'm already feeling nervous about this."

Maxine chuckled. "God, River. They're just my best friends. Not as if you're meeting my parents or something."

"Which reminds me. You haven't really told me what happened to your mom," I turned my head to face the girl. I noticed her chewing slowed down.

"Cancer. Lung cancer," Maxine answered calmly. Then she turned to me and our eyes made contact. "Yours?"

"An accident," I gulped, turning away from her.

"Like... a car accident?"

I gave a weak smile. "Yes, Maxine."

"Did you get that from your mom or your dad? The dimple, I mean. 'Cause it's the most adorable thing I've ever seen. Besides you, of course."