SIXTEEN

Maxine

"I said I don't want to see your face again," I asserted after I hopped out of my white Jeep Wrangler which I had parked in the basement parking lot of my apartment building. Claudia was leaning against her red Subaru Impreza parked opposite my usual parking spot.

She walked over and gripped my shoulders with both of her hands, forcing me to face her. "We need to talk. I told you I'm sorry."

"And then what? As soon as I grant you my forgiveness you're going to go out there and do it again? Tell me Claudia, how many times are we going to do this? 'Cause it's getting old and I'm tired of this vicious cycle I'm not even happy to be in."

She loosened her grip and lowered her hands. "So you're saying you haven't been happy with me?"

"Yes, Claudia. That's what I'm saying," I replied matter-of-factly.

"Okay. Okay," she nodded, her gaze fixed on the ground. Her fists clenched and she spun around, walking back to her car.

It only took Claudia five seconds to spin right back around and stomp in my direction. I was retrieving my groceries from the backseat when she slammed the car door shut and pushed me up against it. She crashed her lips on mine and started kissing me angrily. Out of mere habit, I kissed her back passionately as my fingers found their way up her spine and tangled themselves in her hair.

We kissed like that for a while before I broke it and slid over to the door of the driver's seat. I unlocked it and climbed in, beckoning Claudia to sit on my lap. As soon as she settled herself on me, I shut the door and pulled her in for a kiss. We kissed each other roughly, like we always did when we hadn't seen each other for days.

I held her waist with my left hand, with my right hand slowly creeping up her left thigh. I slid my fingers under her skirt and then into where she wanted me to be. Claudia gasped in my ear before she went back to my lips to resume the kiss. I continued doing what I was supposed to do. Shortly after, I felt her hip stiffening and her body trembling as she reached her peak.

I watched as Claudia pulled away from our kiss and threw her head back as she rode out her climax. This was one of my favourite views of the girl, but unfortunately this would be the last time I would ever see it. Claudia and I had always been so good together. And good things always had to come to an end.

"I love you, Maxine," Claudia whispered as she rested her head on my left shoulder and I stroked her hair gently. "Please don't do this to me."

I gulped. "Don't do this to yourself."

"Max, please," she started sobbing.

"This is for the best. This is for your best. We talked about this last time, remember? It's the only way this could work. You need to get back on track, for real. Go to college, get a job. Whatever keeps you so busy that you forget about those things. You used to be so much more than this, Claudia and I loved that. Now you're just... wasting away. I hate seeing you like this, I'd rather not see you anymore."

Claudia pushed herself away from my embrace. She wiped her tears away with the back of her hand and then just sat there on my lap staring at me.

"God, why do you always look so pretty when you cry?" I mumbled.

"Weirdo. But thanks," she grinned anyway while adjusting her messy hair. "I should go, before I cry even more than I already have and you find me prettier and start loving me as much as you used to."

I nodded. "Good idea."

I opened the door and Claudia hopped out, adjusting her skirt. She then leaned up to kiss my cheek and waved me goodbye. When she finally got into her car and drove away, I felt relieved. For the first time in forever, I felt free of such a huge weight on my shoulders. I knew that I just left a few broken pieces on the floor, but it was Claudia's turn to pick them up on her own.