THIRTEEN

River

I had finally gotten my own locker for convenience after the incident with the Asian guy the other day. I placed most of my textbooks in the locker and only retrieved them when I was going to class. As I was picking out the books that morning, I kept yawning uncontrollably for I had gone to sleep late the night before watching Netflix with Rain.

I felt an arm snake around my waist from the back and then a chin rested on my left shoulder. I froze in place, not knowing whether I should react. I decided to stay put, my nose wrinkling at the bewitching peachy scent possibly coming from the person who held me in an embrace from behind.

"I thought I was the only one here who smelled good," the familiar voice spoke, sniffing at my neck. When the girl's nose lightly brushed against a sensitive spot, a soft moan escaped my lips. Obviously thrilled by my reaction, the girl deliberately planted a gentle kiss on the same spot and I lost control, letting out another moan before I shot my eyes open and turned to shove the person away.

"What the hell, Hoffman?!" I growled.

Maxine's mouth was slightly open and she blinked confusedly at me. "Uh, sorry. I'm sorry you didn't like that. I just... wanted to say good morning and give you these bagels for breakfast."

"What... oh," I facepalmed myself, groaning internally. This was the real effect of the spell that my sister casted on the peace offering. She said that Maxine would stop being a threat to me, but a completely different side to her would surface and I had to deal with that. I agreed, not knowing that this was the side of Maxine my sister was referring to.

"Do you not like bagels? If you don't, I'll go get you something else. But you definitely need to eat something before class."

I eyed her from head to toe and realised that she looked exactly like she did back in kindergarten. Her jet black hair was down, with nicely done curls at the bottom. She was wearing a low-cut black floral summer dress, similar to the black floral dress she used to like wearing when she was smaller. The same aviator shades she wore the first time I saw her again in college rested on top of her head, not protecting her light grey eyes. The same pair of eyes that used to glare down at me now only looked at me with a brand new expression I wasn't used to.

Maxine took a step closer to me and waved her hand in front of my face. "Milton? I'll go get you something else okay?"

"No, that is unnecessary. I'll have the bagels. Thank you," I said, grabbing the bag of bagels from her with my free hand. She took the books from my right arm and carried them on hers.

"I'll walk you to class," the girl chirped, flashing a grin my way.

I shut my locker and began walking in the direction of my classroom, clearly still uncomfortable with Maxine's presence. "Don't you have lecture or something?"

"In fact I do," she glanced at me and then back to the front. "But I have to send you to class first."

"Why?"

Maxine shrugged. "I don't know. I just feel like I have to make sure you're safe."

Her answer warmed my heart a little. A victorious smile graced my lips. My sworn enemy, who used to hardcore bully me in kindergarten was now turning into my bodyguard. How ironic but it wasn't all bad either. In fact it was awesome. A perfect payback. A perfect body... wait, what?

I received a quick peck on the cheek from Maxine as she placed the books back into my arm. We were standing outside my classroom and I could feel my cheeks burn when she pulled away. I looked at the ground and murmured a soft 'thank you'.

"Well I've never really seen you blush, Milton. But you're cute when you do. I'll pick you up after class," Maxine winked and walked off in the other direction.

Nice ass. I mean, dress!