10

Even though it's still locked in desk, I can still feel its presence. I should just read it. I should just read about how wonderful her life is and how spectacular the world is. So I do. I get up, I open my desk, and I take out the envelops. I rip it open. I pull out the letter. I sit on my bed. And I read.

I'm coming home.

I know you're at college but if you could come down next weekend that'd be great. Maybe we can talk? I know you're pissed at me but, Alice, you have to try and understand. It's my life. I had to live it. I had to see the world. I had to do this on my own. You can't possibly expect to follow me everywhere. I was out of high school and you weren't. I couldn't wait for you.

Anyway, I have great news. Please come down next weekend? I miss you.

Love, Ashley.

I folded it back and tucked it under my pillow. Great news? Great news like what?

I texted Parker. Are you busy?

She took a few minutes to respond and when she did, her response disappointed me. Yeah. With Noah & his mom. Can I call you tomorrow?

Sure.

She didn't reply. Sighing, I stare at the clock on my nightstand. It's six pm and I have nothing to do. For a moment, I contemplated texting Cara, but then I remembered she's with her mom for the day. Great. I roll over and go to my laptop, resorting to Netflix for a good time. Fifty minutes into Forrest Gump, there was a knock on my door. I frowned and stood, going to answer it, before realizing I was underdressed. It'd gotten way too hot earlier and since my fan was broken, I resorted to stripping down to a large t-shirt and panties. I quickly pulled on some discarded sweatpants and answered the door.

Charlie was on the other side.

"Come on — we're going to the beach." He said simply.

"Y-you and me?"

"And Ricky," he said, shoving his hands in his pockets, "and Kevin."

The same Ricky and Kevin he didn't want me around?

"Right now?"

"That's why I'm here." He cracked an amused grin and my knees buckled. Like, literally buckled. I gripped onto the doorframe to keep from falling. My face flushed in embarrassedly and I ducked my head, letting my hair fall in my face.

"I, uh, need to change."

"I'll be here."

"You can come in, if you want," I mumbled, opening the door a little wider.

He nodded and entered my room. It wasn't until after I'd closed the door that I realized my room was a little messy. I immediately pushed past him and began kicking things to the side and gathering anything off the floor.

"Don't do that on my account," he chuckled.

"I, uh, wasn't expecting anyone," I said lamely, dropping the clothes on the chair. Some toppled over and I quickly gathered it up. When I out them back on the chair and they fell again, Charlie laughed.

"Why don't you just go change and then we can go meet the guys at the beach."

His words took a while to register in my head. Meet them at the beach?