Prologue

"I'm Alice," I smile brightly, extending my hand towards him.

He raises an eyebrow and stares at my hand for a few moments before slowly taking it into his own and shaking it gently.

"Charlie."

"Are you always sitting by yourself?" I ask, sitting down next to him. You can see the entire football field from the top of the bleachers, I realize.

"Most days."

"On the days you're not sitting by yourself, you're with friends?"

He just looks at me.

I bite down on my lip. "You look kind of lonely. I want to assume you have friends."

He chuckles. "I have friends, Alice. I'm not some loner."

"I didn't think you were," I reply quickly. "I've seen you around before, but I don't really remember seeing you with anyone else."

"I have friends," he repeats, a little slower this time.

"Okay."

"That why you came over here?" He looks out into the field. "You think I'm lonely?"

"I saw you sitting here by yourself. Just thought you wouldn't mind some company," I shrug.

"I mind."

I frown and turn my head to look at him. He's not looking at me, but even from the side he looks good. Strong jawline, brown hair that I wouldn't mind running my fingers through, and dark eyes. I frown when I see the faint outline of a healed scar by his eye.

Instead of asking him about it, I respond to his statement. "You do?"

He turns his head, his eyes meeting mine. There's so much emotion behind them. So much depth. His lips turn upward slightly but then his face was back to being neutral. He tilts his head to the side, as if considering my question.

Then, finally, "No, I guess I don't."