4

Psychology is the only class I really enjoy. Mr. Ranagan, our professor, is an amazing instructor and he's helpful with all his students. In high school, they tell you that nobody is going to be there to help you when you're in college. They say you have to figure things out on your own, and if you're not pushing yourself as hard as you can or if you're slacking, nobody is going to be there to get you back on track.

It's true. Your professors teach you but it's always up to you on whether or not you succeed. They won't be on your case, telling you that you need to work harder. They give you hard work and make you figure it out. Because in life, nobody gives you the answers. You figure it out on your own.

Mr. Ranagan isn't like the other professors, though. He takes time to make sure you understand. He remembers everybody's names and he understands that everyone is at different levels. He helps you adjust to the class, all without making things too easy on you. He pushes you. And he makes sure you push yourself. I've learned a lot from him and from this class. I never had a problem paying attention or answering questions or getting my classwork done.

The second I walk in, the first face I see is Mr. Ranagan.

He smiles. "Hurry up and take your seats everyone! I have an exercise for us."

I go to my seat in the back and sit down, putting my notebook on the desk in front of me. Other students bustle in, talking quietly to each other as they settle into their seats. I take out my pen and tuck it behind my ear as I wait for the professor to speak. He's by his desk, quickly going through some papers. He finds the papers he was in search for and grins, holding it up.

"Okay, listen up!" The room quiets down and everyone focuses on him. "I have a handout. Work on it alone and then we discuss it together." He goes to Shirley, who's closest to him. He hands her the stack. She takes one and hands it down. I patiently wait for it to reach me, and when it does, I take one and pass the rest down. I skim the page before looking back up.

"You have ten minutes," he adds.

My eyes drop down to the paper and I read the words in my head.

Imagine a party where all the people had PERSONALITY DISORDERS. Diagnose each character.

I read through the scenario and then glanced at the back. There's a variety of personality disorders listed, including the symptoms.

Paranoid:suspicious, argumentative, paranoid, continually on the lookout for trickery and abuse, jealous, tendency to blame others, cold and humorless

Schizoid:has few friends; a "loner"; indifferent to praise and criticism of others; unable to form close relationships; no warm or tender feelings for other people

Sociopath:breaks rules and laws; takes advantage of other people for personal gain; feels little remorse or guilt; appears friendly and charming on the surface; often intelligent

Schizotypal:also aloof and indifferent like the schizoid; magical thinking; superstitious beliefs; uses unusual words and has peculiar ideas; a very mild form of schizophrenia

Borderline:very unstable relationships; erratic emotions; self-damaging behavior; impulsive; unpredictable aggressive and sexual behavior; monophobia; easily angered

Histrionic:overly dramatic; attention seekers; easily angered; seductive; dependent on others; vain, shallow, and manipulative; displays intense, but often false emotions

Narcissistic:grandiose; crave admiration of others; extremely self-centered; feel they are privileged and special; expects favors from others; emotions are not erratic