Struggle #36

I step off the elevator and into the lobby where it's still deserted due to the early time. I trudge across the cold marble floor into dining area where today's breakfast buffet is already prepared, the smell of french toast lingers in the air. I walk over to the wall of shiny silver display tables, my mouth drooling over the delicious selections in front of me. I hear the elevator ding and look over my shoulder to see the doors opening and London stepping off. Sucking in a sharp breath, I take off through the doors that connects the dining area with the chefs kitchen.

 You're probably wondering why I run from my London. Well let's think about it. I'M KACEY MILLER...geeky klutz since birth. Do you really think I can handle a fight where I need hand eye coordination? No. I'm not trying to get my braces knocked into the back of my skull or have my glasses crushed. I either fight or flight, so I guess I'm gonna be a bird for the rest of my life.

 I enter the kitchen and to my surprise I find Roc inside talking to one of the chefs, laughing and cheesing like they're old friends.

 Roc's head turns towards me, his smile still shining brightly. "Hey..."

 "Hi," I reply in a soft voice, dropping my eyes and glancing at the chef who's flipping a pancake. "What are you doing in here?"

 "What are you doing in here?" He retorts, raising a perfectly thick eyebrow questioningly.

 I cross my arms and give him a blank look, "Well if you must know, I'm hiding from London. She's trying to kill me."

 Roc rolls his eyes, "So you run to the ktichen? Why don't you ask your bestie Prod to protect you?" Roc says with a hint of attitude as he pushes past me outside to the dining area. I whirl around and storm after him, grabbing his shoulder and spinning him around to face me.

 My eyes narrow at him as I speak, "What's that suppose to mean?"

 "Nothing, I don't wanna start trouble." He says, holding up his hands in surrender before turning his back on me again. Making sure the coast is clear of London, I step forward to stand in front of him. His eyes shift down to meet my gaze and I stare at him in disbelief.

 "No just tell me what you meant Roc, cuz it seems like you have a problem with me and him hanging out."

 Roc's chuckles humourlessly, "I just don't want you toying with him Kacey. If Prince wan't so hooked on London, you wouldn't be paying my boy Prod any attention at all. But now that Prince told you straight up he's not interested, you're just using Prod as a shoulder to cry on."

 "That's not true!"

 "Really?" Roc asks, "Then tell me what your feelings are towards Prod. Tell me you're not feeling Prince anymore." His muscular body and dark eyes intimidate me as we stare at eachother. He glares at me hard, waiting for the answer that stuck in my head. Finally, I drop my eyes in defeat and look at the floor. I don't like lying for unnecessary reasons and I'm not about to tell Roc I don't have feelings towards Prince any more when I kind of still do.

 I lick my lips and sigh gently, "Look, I don't know where my head it right now. It's not easy to just let go of someone you've had your heart set on for a long time. Prodigy and I have really connected and he treats me like every girl wants to be treated but-"

 "You still love Prince and it makes you sick that him and London are still together." Roc finishes for me. I look up at him curiously, how does he know me so well. It's almost like he's been through this experience before. As if reading my mind, Roc crosses his arms. "I've been through something like this before."

"I'm not playing anyone Roc, if anything it's London that's playing Prince." I tell him.

 "I know that, but you've got to let him learn on his own." Roc responds, "Prince is headstrong so he doesnt learn my hearing he learns by doing. But please dont string my boy Prod along much longer."