Struggle #12

"See, then you just sprinkle some salt and pepper on it." I take the shakers from the cabinet and begin shaking the seasoning on the popcorn. I glance over at Prince who's watching me with a scrunches up nose. I roll my eyes, "I promise it tastes really good."

He watches doubtfully as I pinch the popcorn bag closed and shake it up vigorously, making sure all the salt and pepper is mixed in with the popcorn. I open the bag and hold it out to Prince. His eyes flash with hesitation before he digs his hand in and takes out a handful. He slowly raises the popcorn to his lips before popping a few pieces into his mouth. He chews slowly, his shoulders eventually relaxing.

"This is actually really good." He admits, digging his hand in for another handful. "Salt, pepper and cheese popcorn. We could sell this idea and make millions."

"We? It was my idea." I say laughing. He rolls his eyes and throws a piece of popcorn at me, it bounces off my nose and onto the floor. "Hey!"

Prince flashes a smile, tearing open another popcorn bag and putting it in the microwave. I tap my nails on the countertop nervously, racking my brain for some good conversation topics. What do you say in an empty kitchen with your biggest crush who happens to be a celebrity? I watch as Prince chews slowly, making his way through the bag of popcorn. The butter from the popcorn makes his lips glisten a little and I imagine what it would be like to kiss all that butter off his lips.

Ok no. Ew Kacey, stop being weird.

"What?" Prince says, looking over at me.

"What?" I ask back. He scrunches his eyebrows together questionably. "You just said something."

I mentally face palm myself. I have a bad habit of saying what I'm thinking. I really need to learn to control that. "You're hearing things." I reply smoothly.

"Uh-huh," prince says doubtfully. "Where are you from anyway?"

"Quiet little Boston," I reply. "Please tell me y'all are stopping there for your tour."

He shrugs, "Maybe, we can't hit all 50 states in the US though."

I scoff, "But sometimes y'all skip over states that are literally right there. Come on, how many times can you perform at the same venues in New York? What about Connecticut for once, they're on the map too." I say, giving him a blank stare.

"It's not my choice. Big places like New York bring in the bigger crowds and big bucks." He replies, rubbing his fingers together like a millionaire. "It's just how the music game is."

"That's stupid," I say back. Prince shrugs and hops of the counter, his hair bouncing as he does so. He walks over to the microwave to check the popcorn just as London walks in.

She flounces into the kitchen gracefully and looks straight at Prince, ignoring my existence completely. "Hey, what's taking so long? The movie already started."

Prince turns and gazes at her dreamily for a moment before the popcorn bag burns his hand. He quickly sets it on the counter, "I know how greedy Prod and Ray are so I'm making sure we have enough popcorn made." He says. I notice how his voice sounds an octave lower and his eyelids have lowered slightly, giving him that 'I'm too cool for school' type look.

"Need some help?" London asks him, a smirk drawing across her lips.

"Yes."

"No."

Prince and I exchange a look as the two opposite words leave our mouths. "We don't need any more help," I tell him. "This is all the bags we need."

London shrugs, "Fine with me. Ill help you pour them into a bowls." She reaches across Prince and grabs one of the color bowls on the counter before turning and pouring popcorn into it. Prince smiles before joining her. I scowl in annoyance before grabbing a bowl myself and filling it up with my special popcorn.

London lets out a shriek, "Ew, what the hell kind of popcorn is that? It looks infected."

Princeton laughs, "It's Kacey's specialty. Melted cheese, pepper and salt. It's actually really good." I beam happily as he reaches over and plucks a piece of popcorn from the bowel. "Try it."

"Hell no," London giggles and swats the popcorn from his hands. He laughs too as it flies across the room. "You should be the last one eating that Prince. It's like diabetes waiting to happen, plus you don't wanna get," her eyes flash towards me and look me up and down before flashing back to Prince. "Fat."

Prince shoots a look in my direction as if he's embarrassed for me. I couldn't believe she just said that, in front of Princeton. The amount of anger building up inside of me is enough to make me want to jump across the table, wrap her stupid hair around my hand and bash her head into the fridge. Instead, I'm so intent on not letting Princeton think I'm some malicious animal that I clench my fist tightly, trying to release the pent up anger.

Instead...I let out some pent up gas.

It wasn't a loud fart, but it was enough for London to burst out laughing. "Another reason you should not eat that." She says, eyeing my bowl of special popcorn. Still laughing, she grabs a bowl of popcorn and thrust it into Prince's hands. "Come on," she grabs him and pulls him out the kitchen, leaving me to juggle three bowls back to the living room.

I stand in the same spot for at least five minutes, taking deep breaths so I wouldn't break down and cry. Finally, I grab the three big bowls and struggle to make it back to the living room.

Halfway there, one of the bowls slips and I end up stepping on it, slipping and busting my ass in front of everyone. I'm so done with tonight that I'm tempted to just lay here until I die. I close my eyes and pray that this did not just happen. Everything was going good until London came in. Me and Prince were chilling, just bonding as new friends. Then this home wrecker appears and ruins everything.

I think back to what my mother said to me. I'm not going to let London ruin my time here, Prince is going to realize sooner or later how evil she is, he has too. There's no way he was able to miss how she low key insulted me in the kitchen.

This is the last night that I let London embarrass me. She is not going to make MB see me as some klutzy, gas passing weirdo. No. Nice Kacey is done. From now on, I'm going to be boldest, outgoing, quirky person she's ever met. I'm going to look on the bright side of everything and not let anything take a toll on me. There's no way I'm letting London Michaels get under my skin, I went through too much butt kissing to get here.

"You alright?" I hear Prodigy ask. I open my eyes to find him standing over me, offering a hand.

"Yeah, I'm just clumsy." I respond, chuckling extra loudly to let London know she isn't going to bring me down. Taking Prod's hand, he pulls me back to my feet and I brush the popcorn off me and out of my hair.

I begin picking up the popcorn when Ray says, "You clean leave that there, the house keepers will clean that up tomorrow morning."

Shrugging, I abandon the popcorn and take a seat on the couch next to Joya. I glance over at London to see her laughing with Latimore, not acknowledging Prince any longer. I shake my head.

Game on London.

The next morning I wake up the sound of Keisha yelling through the house. "LETS GO GIRLS, ITS A BEAUTIFUL DAY, TIME TO WAKE UP!"

My eyes slowly peel open and I glance at the clock to see it reads 9:45. I groan, waking up before 12 on summer break? Where dey do dat at??

Keisha busts into the room I share with Renee and Yannie. "UP UP UP. TIME TO SHOWER AND GET DRESSED, WE'RE GOING TO IHOP FOR BREAKFAST THEN WE'RE GOING TO DO SOME SIGHT SEEING!"

Yannie groans and pulls the blanket up over her head. "One more hour," she pleads.

Keisha sighs, "Fine, I guess y'all don't wanna go to the amusement park with Mindless Behavior today."

At the sound of that we all jump out of our beds and run to the closets looking for something to wear today. Junk food and rides with Mindless Behavior is better than sleep any day.

It's a real life dream.

***

Sorry for errors.

This is more of a filler chappie.

COMMENT COMMENT COMMENT