SOTS-1-01-03

Soul of the Seal: The Ninja Adventures by MrDust

Anime » Naruto Rated: T, English, Adventure & Friendship, Naruto U., Kyuubi/Kurama, Words: 221k+, Favs: 1k+, Follows: 1k+, Published: Feb 23, 2008Updated: Dec 27, 2009 Reveiws: 932 Chapter 4: SOTS,1,01,03

(AN: For disclaimer, see my profile, and also, help me with my goal to have it possible for submissions to display colored text!)

SOTS-1-01-03

Soul of the Seal - Story 1 - Arc 1 - Chapter 3

Chapter 3 - "Say My Name!"

Naruto sat carefully on the stool, trying to keep himself still. Sitting between a pair of light adjustment stands on the top of the Hokage tower, the aging camera man standing several feet away was looking him over.

"Uh, kid, are you sure you want me to take your picture like that?" The man asked hesitantly.

"Well, duh! Why else would I go to all the trouble?" Naruto nodded, trying to get his pose right. "Why, it doesn't look that bad, does it?"

"Well, no, actually, I think it's nice work." The man admitted. "Where'd you get it done?"

"Did it myself, though a friend helped touching it up." Naruto said, while shifting his feet slightly.

"No kidding? Well, look, under different circumstances, I'd be all for your artistic talent kid. But this is for the official village ninja roster records. Are you really sure you want-" The camera man gestured.

"Yeah, absolutely! Hurry up before the paint gets smeared!" Naruto huffed. The man shrugged.

"Alright. Don't blame me later." The man got behind the camera, and aimed. "Say cheese!"

"RAMEN!" Naruto bared his teeth in a serious glare as he posed. ... (click)

"Ok, that's it." The man pulled a cartridge plate out of the camera, and placed it in a carrying case. "So then, we gotta take this over to the academy."

As Naruto helped him pack his equipment, he frowned.

"Wait, if the picture has to go to the academy, why take it here on the tower?" Naruto asked, as he picked up the two heaviest cases.

"Hey, don't ask me, I just go where I'm paid to go." The man replied as they started for the stairs. "So, kid, I don't suppose you'd be interested in being paid to do that kind of make-up work as a serious profession?"

"Nope, sorry, I'm a ninja! I doubt I'd have time to pursue any kind of artistry career. If I'm not out on missions, I'll be training." Naruto shook his head.

"Are you sure? That stunt you pulled with the Hokage mountain the other day was top quality work. If the ninja thing doesn't work out, you'd probably have no trouble setting up an art studio." The man suggested as the two started down the stairs.

"I won't ever give up being a ninja. But..." Naruto paused to consider as Kyaena offered her two cents.

"Art is inherit. You'll always have the skill, if perhaps later in life, you need something to occupy your retirement years. The Hokage does the same with his calligraphy, don't forget." She offered.

"... Ah, never mind. It's really just a hobby." Naruto shrugged.

"Suit yourself." The man said over his shoulder.

About an hour later, Naruto was in one of the spare meeting rooms of the academy, sitting in front of Sarutobi and an academy assistant clerk who looked totally bored out of his mind. Naruto, having washed himself of his earlier work, sat with a slightly sheepish grin. Sarutobi was looking at a freshly printed paper that was to be the basis for Naruto's ninja profile. A few statistics were listed, including the new test results from the re-evaluation the other day. And in the upper left corner, was the picture that had been taken just a little while ago.