Chapter 17 - Realization

Desi

I burst through the front door of my suite, my eyes sweeping across the empty living room. I slammed the door behind me and ran through the room, my feet pounding into the wooden floor.

"Cody?!" My voice was frantic as I yelled his name, my head constantly spinning around. I glanced to the open bedroom door, knowing that I had closed it when I'd left earlier. My heart beat nervously in my chest as I walked to the bedroom, stopping completely as my arms braced the door frame, trying to hold myself up.

There he was, sitting on the bed, his hands bracing his legs, his eyes already looking towards the door before I'd been there. His eyes were wet with tears, filling more and more as our gaze stayed locked.

"Desi..." Cody whispered, his voice slightly shaking.

My legs quivered underneath me when his voice touched my ears, sending chills down my spine. My face contorted as a sob escaped from my chest.

"I can't believe it's you," I said, trying to see him clearly through the tears that blurred my vision. "How?" My mouth stayed open, wanting to form more words, but my voice broke.

"Nothing could ever keep me from getting to you Desi." His voice was still quiet, as if he was finding trouble speaking too. "I knew I'd find you."

My eyes trailed over his silver ones, down to the stubble that now grew along his jaw. Scratches lined his neck and his hands, the rest of him covered with black, the same uniform the guards wear.

"Wait," I said, my eyes rising back to meet his. "Why are you dressed--"

"I told you," Cody said cutting me off. "Nothing could stop me. Especially not the guard I took this uniform from."

Slowly he stood up off of the bed never taking his eyes from mine. I was paralyzed in the doorway, my hands still bracing the cool wooden frame, unable to move as he stepped towards me.

My lungs struggled for air as Cody stood in front of me, our teary eyes both staring into each other's. Slowly, as if I might disappear, he brought his hand up to my face, his fingertips grazing my cheek, avoiding the stitches.

"What have they done to you?" Cody asked, his quiet voice filled with emotion.

"Everything," I whispered in defeat, my head dropping down, letting a tear drop onto the floor.

Cody's fingers touched my chin, lightly pulling my face up to look at him. His eyes were even closer than before, his breath hot on my face. His lips lightly touched mine before pulling back to look at me. His eyes quickly scanned my face taking a quick breath before speaking.

"God, I've missed you so much," Cody whispered, crashing his lips hard into mine again.

My arms wrapped around his neck as his wrapped around my waist, pulling me close to him, not letting anything separate us anymore. His fire spread through my lips, seeping into my bones, every part of my body wanting more and more of him. Tears streamed down both of our faces, drenching our cheeks.

I pressed my body closer to his, making him step backwards towards the bed. As soon as his foot hit the floor, Cody doubled back in pain, lurching away from me, his hands wrapping around his calf.

"Cody?" I asked frantically, bending down to his level, my hand resting on his shoulder. "What's wrong? Are you okay?"

Cody lifted his head up to look at me, his face flushed. "I'm fine," He glanced quickly away from me, trying to hide his lie. Slowly, as if it was hard to do, he straightened his body holding his hands out for me to grab.