Chapter 16 - Appearance

Ryder

I hadn't seen Desiree since the other night when I had kissed her. I'd been to her door several times, waiting for her to answer but she never did. My heart sank as I looked down at the black dress shoes I was wearing now.

I knew she would have to come down soon, her match was tonight. I glanced over at the red doors next to me, watching as men and women filed inside. Leaning back onto the wall, my eyes searched for Desiree.

Nerves swept through me when I saw a head of blonde hair begin to weave through the crowd, making its way toward me. Desiree emerged from the sea of people in front of me, her bare legs long under the hem of her shorts. Her hair was pulled tightly away from her face, her eyes glowing with a fierce intensity. She was holding someone's hand.

My eyes traveled down beside her landing on a little girl with black hair, braided down the middle. Her innocent eyes were wide as she took in the amount of people in the lobby.

“Is there gonna be a show Desi?” I heard the little girl ask as Desiree led her towards me, avoiding my gaze.

“Not a very good one,” Desiree replied, stopping in front of me and bringing her eyes hesitantly to look into mine.

The stitches on her cheek were healing, but still flaming red around the edges, twine still poking out through the skin. A bruise now appeared, circling her eye, her lids a dark purple tinged with a healing yellow in the corner.

“Ryder,” Desiree said, breaking the silence between us. “I need your help.”

“Of course,” I told her. “Anything.” I glanced down to the little girl still holding her hand.

“This is Aundrea.” Her voice was barely a whisper making my heart ache for her.

“Oh no.” Remnants of our conversations poured into my brain, wracking my thoughts. This was the little girl that Vivian was using for leverage. “What do you need me to do?”

“I—I can't take her in there..” Desiree's voice trailed off. “But I don't know where I could take her that she would be safe.” She breathed the last word. “You're the only person I can truly trust.”

“I know where we can take her,” I told her sure of myself. “Doc's room is locked to everyone, including the guards. He keeps all of the drugs up there.”

Desiree nodded her head, not speaking a word and knelt down on the floor so that she was eye level with Aundrea. Her hands were on the girl's shoulders, her whisper trailing into her ear. I couldn't hear what she was saying but when Desiree was finished, Aundrea looked up at me and smiled, missing one of her teeth.

Desiree wrapped Aundrea in a hug, lifting her up slightly off the ground, before letting her go and kissing her on the nose. “Remember what I told you,” She said, standing up and motioning Aundrea towards me.

My hand rested on the top of the Aundrea's head as she stood next to me. Desiree's eyes locked with mine, then quickly looked away and at the red doors.

“If something happens,” Desiree started, pausing to take a deep breath. She closed her eyes. “Please keep her safe.”

Nothing is going to happen,” I told her, my eyes blazing into hers. “Don't you dare let anything happen to you.”

“I'll try,” She whispered taking a step away from me and towards the doors. My arm reached out to grab her wrist, turning her back to face me.

“Don't try. Promise.” I pleaded her. “Please be careful.”