Chapter 14 - Intimidation

Ryder

I was shoved backwards as Desiree was torn away from my side and towards the velvet carpeted staircase. Digging my feet into the floor, I lunged forward towards the line of guards that blocked my way to her. My elbow connected with a shorter guard's nose, sending him to the ground with his hands over his face, blood seeping through his fingers.

Desiree's scream rang in my ear as I saw her being dragged up the stairs, her heels knocking against every step. Her body squirmed and her fingers turned into claws as she dug her nails into the arms of the guards that were hauling her; their long-sleeved shirts preventing any damage.

Hands grasped my shoulders and spun me around, my fist raising to pummel someone's face. Another guard reached around me and held my arm back, allowing my punch to go no further.

“They just want to talk to her,” The guard in front of me said. I recognized him as Nathan, one of Vivian's closest soldiers. “Chill out,” He told me, motioning to the guard hunched over on the floor. “You about rammed Joseph's nose back into his brain.”

“Let go of me,” I said firmly, shrugging my shoulders as I tried to free myself of his grip. “If they only wanted to talk then why did they drag her up there?”

Nathan looked away from me and hesitantly dropped his arms down to his side. Either he wouldn't answer the question or he just couldn't think of a lie to tell, but I wasn't waiting to find out. I spun on my heel, pushing the guard behind me away as I ran to the staircase.

I waited for them to try to stop me-- waited for that click of a gun being loaded-- but nothing came until I was halfway up the stairs.

“Ryder,” Nathan said below me, causing me to slow my step so I could hear him. “We have orders to call the Wisconsin Camp if you go up there. Haley will die.”

It was as if Nathan had purposely waited until I was far away to announce this information to me, knowing that I would deconstruct his face with my knuckles if I'd been right there in front of him.

I stopped moving altogether and let my eyes trail over the steps that I would take if I were to rescue Desiree right now. My feet would have felt so sure in every spot, and nothing could have stopped me— nothing but this. I brought my hands over my eyes, rubbing my temple with my thumb. My feet were heavy, as if anchored by regret, but I slowly took a step backwards down the stairs.

Turning around I looked Nathan in the eye down in the lobby below me. “If I hear one scream, I'm going up there. And you better not be a liar Nathan, they better just be talking to her. Because if not, I will have your head on a fucking platter.”

The way Nathan's face turned red and his eyes filled with fear, let me know that he was in fact lying. I had to find another way to save her. As I saw the first of the finely dressed audience filtering out through the red doors, I had an idea. I ran down the stairs to the doors, the guards watching me quizzically the whole way.

I shoved through the people coming out of the doors and gripped the handles as I slammed them shut behind me, leaving men and women staring at me excitedly when they realized who I was. Their excitement turned to confusion when they saw I had closed the doors. Then I said her name.

Desi

I gave up the struggle as they pulled me into the balcony suite; the fight was useless now that I was here. There was no chance of getting away,

The guards pulled me across the floor towards two chairs that had been turned away from the balcony and towards me. Vivian sat with her legs cross tightly in one chair, her red hair curled into spirals— I could only imagine them as snakes. Turner sat next to her in a forest green suit that washed him out and made him look extremely pale and almost scary.