Chapter 12

I run and don't look back. I was the fastest person in my school including the older ones. Lets say I can run about 70mph if I want to but that would be showing off.

I reach the train station and catch the one going to Glasgow. I had booked all the Glasgow ones and luckily there was one there and about to leave. I find my seat and duck low till the train has passed 1 mile from Edinburgh.

I sigh with relief knowing Scully can’t get me now because he will be looking around Edinburgh streets.     

*

I slept for I don't know how long before someone sat next to me. I was so startled that I was in frenzy mode but when I saw the lady who looked 60 years old in a long brown coat and brown shoes next to me and I relaxed. “Hello, what’s your name” she asks sweetly.

 I sit up and cough “My name is Mary, I’m 14, coming 15 soon” the woman smiles and looks through her bag. “What’s yours” I ask in a kind voice.

“I’m Sarah, would you like a sweet” she holds out a sweet packet.

“No thanks, I ate already” I smile “but thank you anyway” she smiles and eats the sweetie. “Where are you going” I ask trying to make a conversation.

“Oh I’m going to see my new granddaughter in Glasgow. She was born 2 weeks ago so I want to see her. I live in Edinburgh so I don’t see them much. What about you, all alone, where are you going” she smiles.

“I’m going to see my boyfriend. He just got out of hospital today” I smile still remembering Rick.

“Oh that is good here this is my granddaughter after the birth she is so cute isn’t she” she shows a little baby in a 20 to 30 year old man who is smiling. I start to cry “Oh what is the matter.”

“Oh it’s not your fault I lost my dad not long ago and my mum had left for 1 week and she is back but it just bring him back to me” I smile wiping my tears away.

“Oh I’m sorry to hear that, my husband died last year with cancer” she take out a picture “this is him in his wedding suit and that’s me in my wedding dress” the picture had a 25 year old woman and a 25 year old man who was smiling with his new wife and a little girl standing in front of them both.

“Who is that” I look at the little girl, she looks so familiar.

“Oh her, she was my sister’s oldest daughter Jane, 2 years old she was. Her married name would be Jane Winter and she had two daughters but she died 7 to 8 years ago, I forget sometimes” she smiles.

“8 years ago she died in a car crash” I forget the woman is beside me and I suddenly realize what I had just said.

“Yes that is right but how did you know” she looks at me and I know I have to tell her now.

“My full name is Mary Diana Winter. Diana was my granny's name. Jane Winter is my mother. So that means you are my great aunt Sarah.” I smile at her and she smiles back.

“Oh it is a small world and that means you are my great niece” I smile and nod. She takes me into a big hug and she gives me her number. She takes a picture of me “My daughter might like to see her second cousin but I can’t believe we are related and we met today but you said your mum came back”

“My step mum, my dad remarried 2 years after Jane’s death” I remember meeting Lily on the wedding day and how she smiled at me and how I loved her then now she is like the wicked witch of the west.

“Oh well you weren’t alone on your dad’s death” she smiled looking out at the view “another 30 minutes before we reach Glasgow, you should visit us sometime” I smile.