Red Riding Hood: Extra- the past

"Father why can't I go with you?" Twelve year old Destiny said to her father as he walked out the door, the red cloak she always wore fluttering on the floor as she trailed behind him.

        "Because my curious little girl, it is dangerous."

        "But if it's dangerous then why are you going."

        "Someone has to chop fire wood, and I have not seen my mother in a long time."

       "I want to go! Please, I have not seen grandmamma in a long time either."

      "I know you want to see her, she misses you a lot too." The big man says gruffly and shines is light blue eyes down at her and smiles sadly.

      "I want to go. I used to go all the time and I was even younger then I am now."

      "I know Destiny, there are rules now."

      "I don't care about no stinking rules."

     The big burly man laughed and patted his child on the head. "You are just like my mother, never following the rules."

     "So can I go?'

     "I am sorry, no."

     "Your no fair!"

     "It's not up to me."

     "Can I at least walk with you?"

     "Of course but if you even try following me into the woods, there will be consequences."

     "Okay, okay... Dad, Why are wolves forbidden?"

     "Destiny, you have asked that question everyday since you went into the woods and supposedly saw one."

     "One attacked me, and the other saved me. I touched him, it was real!"

     He looked at her long and hard as they walked, and gave her a soft smile. "I believe you."

     "Really? You never said before."

      "Your twelve, daughter, your old enough to know what's real and what's not."

     She looked like she was about to say something when a group of kids walked by and she shrank into her cloak trying to hide behind it. She stepped closer to her father and walked fast.

     "Hey red, Red riding hood. Over here, look over here." as they called out to her she looked away, down at the ground.

     Her father looked down at her and said softly, "Why not see what they want?"

     "I..I don't want to."

     "Come now, you can't always be afraid. You have to face your fears."

     "I have."

       "you are brave when it comes to danger and the forest, you have shown as a great number of times but when it come to people, the people who are mean and say mean things you cower."

         "I do not!!" She said loudly and glared at her father.

        "Do too." He said back with a smirk.

         "I'll show you." With that she fled towered the children, but she looked back and called out "Don't go anywhere." He stood there and waved his acknowledgement that he heard what she said.

        When she got to the crowd of children Jeremy smiled at her and the rest giggled. "You called me over, what is it you want."

        "We wanted to show you something."