Chapter 12

“Luke, have you ever thought about going to church?” She aks, swinging the door back and forth. I look up from the ground to her sparkling eyes, and beaming smile. It somehow reminded me of my mom.

“I use to with my mom”, I whisper, my voice low and cracking.

“Be ready at eight. Wear something nice”, she pats me on the shoulder, and leaves out the bathroom.

I finish tying the tie, and slip on my socks, along with my shoes. I fixed the tail of the dark blue suit, and positioned the red polka dotted tie.

I rush out of the house as I  hear the beeping of a horn.

Mia was waving, and smiling, warming my morning. Her smile to me was like a blanket of warmness. I smile back, and open the passanger door, and get in.

“You look pretty”, she smiles.

“Thanks”, I laugh.

“Seatbelt”, she adds. I roll my eyes at her, and pull the seat belt over me into the lock.

We arrive in front of the huge church with a huge sign on top, and the ground decorated with a big sign, a border saying “All are welcome” We get out, and walk inside. I follow behind her, and walk through the santuary. Everyone's head turns, but the preacher keeps on preaching.

I felt like their eyes were accusing me, forcing me back to the past. I feel Mia’s small soft hand squezze mine, and I look up at her, as she smiles at the passing strangers.

We sit down on the front row. “I felt like they were all starring at me”, I whisper into her ear. She turns to me, and laughs. “They weren't”

We turn to the preacher. Today, he was talking about Love. All kinds of Love, relationship Love, and family love. And it made me think of my mum.

I loved her so much. She would try her hardest to try and please my dad. She always scurry around apolagizing, not even for the mistakes. She wouldn't admit that he beated her, she'll just simply reply “Just had a rough night”, and with a wink.

Even though I was young, I understood. She was afraid of him. And she knew what would happen if she ever told. She knew what would happen to the both of us. I remember the night she tried calling the police.

I felt arms grasp my neck, and I woke up to his percing eyes, and raspy voice. He shook my neck saying,“If you ever say anything, I'll kill you and your stupid fucking mum”

And I listened. I never spoke of it. Not even to the couslers, when they asked where I got the bruises from, or why I missed school so much. I had to stay home to take care of my mum. She would always forget to pay the bills. And we had to move sometimes. But I use to clean over at the local market, until midnight, and earned enough for dinner for me and my mum.

The preachers words got to me. They were so powerful, Encourageing me to go on. The pain will soon fade. And one day I'll heal. He kept his eyes on me. Sweat dripping down his face.“YOU CANT GIVE UP BECAUSE THINGS ARE HARD!” He made his way down the stairs, and placed his hand on my forehead. Praying. Telling god to watch over me. Saying, he knows its hard. God sent me here. I feel Mia rub the side of my shoulder, and as the preacher finshes, a feeling on saddness, memory, and glory all rush through me.

Church is over, and I'm still replaying today. His powder words.

“Luke?”

I look over my shoulder at Mia. “You ready?” she asks.

“Yeah, just Minute”, I say whipping the tear from the corner of my eyes. She understands, and walks back out.

I get up, but the beautiful glass in front of me, frezzes me. I walk over to it, and rub my fingers over the soft glass. I could see me as a kid, and my mum there. Her warm hugs, sweet kisses. And on the next one, I could see the firey anger of my dad.

His fist awlays curled. And my mums loving hugs went away, and I was always alone.

“Stained glass”, Mia blurts. I turn to her and smile.

“Yeah, its beautiful”, I state.

“I know. Its like a glass to the past. You can see what it holds. What it unlocks”

I chuckle. I look back at it. And right in the middle. There was Mia.