Chapter 9

Luke and I spent the rest of the afternoon, eating cake and ice cream. I lay across the counter, and groan. My head was throbbing, and my stomach was killing me.  

"I'm full", I sigh.  

"Me too", Luke says, his head hung down through his rested arms over the counter. I thought resting a little woe ease the pain, so I shut my eyes.  

I jump as I hear the front door cock. I feel Luke's head of curls in the frock of my neck, and our bodies pressed together, his arms were wrapped around my body tightly.  

I jump as I hear it again. Shit my parents might be back. I wiggle out of Luke's graps, standing on my feet. I pull Luke's arm, to try and pull him off the couch. Luke groans, and slowly opens his eyes.  

My head shoots towards the door, as my Mum and Dad walks through the front door, dropping their suitcases by the door.  

"Honey, who is this?" My mum asks, her perfect brown eyebrows knitted together.  

My Dad appears from behind her, removing Luke's varsity jacket from the coat hanger, and drops it onto the floor.  

"My partner. For my project, remember when I told you?" My mum turns her focous to my Dad.  

"No, you never mentioned him.", My mum corrects.  

"Maybe, that's 'cause you never listen", I snap.  

"Is that my shirt?!" My dad shouts. Startled, Luke jumps up from his sleep, revealing the covers from his body, running his hands through his curly hair.  

"Pants too", I whisper. My parents head up the stairs, mumbling stuff to each other. I wipe my sweaty hands on my jeans. 

"I'm sorry", Luke whispers.  

"Its okay Luke", I chuckle.  

I jog up into my Parents room, and my dad slams the door after I'm in.  

"What the hell was that?" he shouts.  

"Dad, its not like how you think it is, when he walked here, it was raining so I gave him spare clothes!" I explain, changing the story up a bit, not wanting to expose Luke's business.  

"What the hell is he doing in our house!?" my mum screams, walking towards me. I furrow my eyebrows.  

My Dad, softly pushes my mum back away from me.  

"What? I just explained", I chuckle.  

"Do you know anything about that young man down there?" My dad asks.  

I didn't have to think long or hard about it. I didn't know anything about Luke, except for the fact that he stayed with his brother, and his mum passed away.  

"Well yeah", I lie.  

"Really?" My dad asks.  

My heart was beating out of my chest. My hands began to sweat, once again.  

"Well, what do you know, that I don't know?" I ask, shakend.  

✩My dad steps closer to me, placing his hands on my shoulders.  

"That kid down there, is a murder " My hands quickly brushed my Dads hands of my shoulders. "Shut up. I know him, he's a sad kid, who needs a little hope in his life! Plus, you don't have any proof", I argue.  

"His name, is Luke Brooks", my mum speaks up.  

I swallowed hard. My head was beating against my skull.  

"No" I whisper to my self, my eyes scanning the serouisness on my parents faces.  

"He lives with his father. He murdered his mum at the age of nine. He's dangerous, he uses drugs, he's.. he's just trouble. S- stay away from him. Please", my mum begs.  

I storm out of the room, and down the stairs. I straightend up, pretending none of that went on up there.  

"You okay?" he asks, rubbing my back. I grab his wrist, removing his hands off my back.  

"Luke, I don't know anything about you, how about we play 20 questions", I say turning to him.  

"Okay", he smiles.  

"Have you ever done any drugs?" 

"No, never", he laughs.  

"Have you ever been to juvenile?"  

"Where are you going with this?" he asks, suspicious. He sits up uncomfortable in his seat.  

"Murdered , kill someone?" I chuckle, trying not making it obvious where I'm going with this.  

"What the fuck? What did they tell you?" he shouts.  

"You lied about everything Luke! Why? Get out!" My shaken voice shouts.  

Luke's brown eyes meet mine. And there again, when the first day we locked eyes, it held a story, something I couldn't read.