Chapter 19

Before bed, I hang a small nametag on my window. It's a glow-in-the-dark thing with the name 'Lexi' written in glow-in-the-dark marker on it. This is so Lisa knows this is my room in case she wants to go to a street fight or go vandalize a house in the night. She used to call me Lexi back in 7th grade, when we were thirteen. I'm so glad to be back with Lisa. Smiling to myself, I happily tumble into bed, for once out of exhaustion instead of depression.

***

The next morning, I'm roused from a deep, dreamless sleep, by voices coming from downstairs. The one dominating above all others is Reese's. "When are we going to the beach?" I smile and quickly change into my blue bikini. I spend ten minutes rubbing concealer all over my arms so that I can wear it to the beach. When I'm finished with the tedious task, I slip on some yellow sandals and pack my yellow beach bag with tanning lotion, an umbrella, sunglasses, a towel, extra concealer, and a hoodie for when I go into the water. Finally, I run downstairs after pulling on a pink cover-up.

"Finally," Tristan says as I enter. "We were about to go to the beach without you." I grab a muffin from the basket and follow Tristan, Reese, and Mom to the beach.

"Let's go swimming!" Reese cries as soon as we get there. My mom helps her to take off her cover-up, exposing her one-piece dolphin bathing suit. Then Mom slathers her with sunscreen, head-to-toe, before releasing her. Lastly, she finds a spot to set her things where she can watch Reese as she plays. I, however, watch as Reese removes her prosthetic leg before going in the water.

I sigh and find my own spot, sinking my umbrella in the sand to mark it. I spread my towel and lay on it sleepily, before donning my sunglasses and setting out my tanning lotion to use.

Tristan wanders over and lays down beside me. I don't notice him reaching for my bottle of tanning lotion until too late.

"Eeeh!" I squeal as he tries to spread the cold lotion on my bare legs. I jump and he puts a hand of each of my shoulders, making my skin tingle through the cover-up. He smiles and continues to spread suntan lotion on my legs. This time, the lotion doesn't seem so cold, and I let him put it on me. His hands gently smooth the cool liquid onto my legs. I slowly strip, exposing my bikini to him. He whistles and I blush. Quickly catching onto my hint, he takes the lotion and spreads it on the rest of my body. When he's finished, he settles down beside me and I lay my head on his chest. I take a deep breath of the heavy salt air, sighing in contentment. This feels too good to let go, so I close my eyes and drift off to sleep.

***

I'm awakened by something shifting underneath me. I open my eyes in time to see Tristan getting up, brushing sand from his clothes. I sit up drowsily. I see my mother dozing a few yards away. Reese is sitting along the shore, building sandcastles. I see Tristan making his way over to her. The sun is high overhead, and I realize that if I want to go in the water at all today, I'd better do it now. I pull on my hoodie and start for the water's edge.

"Aren't you going to take that off?" Tristan asks as I charge into the water, hoodie on. "Nope," I reply, popping the 'p'. I dash out into the waves as Tristan says, "Hold up, I'll come too!" Expectantly I turn around, waiting for him to join me. Then he peels off his T-shirt. Exposing his incredibly sexy 6-pack. Drool.

He smirks as I realize I'm staring at him. Oh dear god. Insert facepalm here.

Blushing madly, I turn my back on him.

Big mistake.

He tackles me from behind, easily flipping me over his shoulder. Squealing, I pound his back over and over again, but he pays me no heed and marches on until we've reached a point where it's about 6 foot deep. "Tristan Daniels, don't you dare!" I say. I kick my feet as hard as I can, hoping to kick him in a sensitive spot. He readies his arms to toss me into the open ocean, but I manage to hit his kneecap, and he goes falling into the waves. I laugh heartily. His plan sure backfired!

Soon I realize that he's slowly but surely picking himself up from the water, and I quickly dart away. Not quick enough, though. Fortunately, just as Tristan is about to pick me up again, my mom calls, "Hey, you two! Get over here! We're going back to the house!" I hurriedly swim away from Tristan and get out of the water. I towel off my legs and feet before taking off my hoodie and drying my arms. Thankfully, the concealer stayed on. I collect my things and follow my mother back to the house.

***

Tap.

Tap.

Tap.

I'm awakened by pebbles hitting my window like rain. Quickly I raise the sash and see Lisa below, tossing stones from her sitting-down position on her motorcycle. She gestures for me to come out, and I hold up a finger, pulling the window back down. I quickly change into black skinny jeans, black boots, and a black T-shirt. I slip a black hoodie on and do my hair up into a ponytail before slipping downstairs and out the door. Lisa is waiting for me.

"What are we doing, and are we walking or riding?" I ask. She answers, "We'll take the cycles once we get to the street, and we are going to vandalize my ex-boyfriend's house." An evil smirk spreads across my face, and I nod in agreement with her plan. "I'm gonna go get Tristan," I say to her and dash back inside.

I make my way to Tristan's bedroom. He's sleeping with his covers off. I try not to stare at his shirtless, muscled body sprawled across his bed, but he's so freaking hot! Determined not to do anything I'll regret, I peel my eyes from his sexy figure, with effort. I shake him awake quickly and explain the plan. He smiles, gets up, and tosses a shirt and jeans on before following me outside. There, Lisa is waiting for us. I smile to myself, knowing I'm about to have a fun-filled adventure.