Chapter 14 ~ Serious Conversation

Chapter 14

As we weaved through the trees with Dane leading the way, my mind kept wandering back to what happened with Fawn earlier. And now that I was on my way back, I wondered on how I will ever face him again.

"What were you doing out there, Eve?"

"I - nothing. I just, you know, needed a break from the stale air inside the room I was stuck in for days," I replied while rubbing my arms.

The moon was emerging through the night sky and for some unknown reason, I felt restless. My skin was itchy, and even at this time of the night, my vision could see clearly and my ears could pick up even the slightest sounds. It seems that my senses are more keen than usual. If that was even possible.

As I gazed at the sky, I realized that it was a full moon tonight.

"You could have at least told me where you were going, you got us all worried."

"Yeah," I said unconsciously, scratching the the insides of my wrist. "Sorry..."

My eyes flickered over to Dane, wondering if I was the only one feeling like this. Was I having an allergy?

We were a few meters away from the house when I suddenly tripped. My hands flailed wildly, looking for something for me to hold on to. Dane was walking ahead of me, there was absolutely no way I could reach my hands out to him for support.

Just as I was about to smack my face against the ground, my hands found a sturdy and thick branch above me.

I was in the midst of exhaling a breath of relief when I came crashing down on the dirt. I let out an 'oof' before muttering a string of curses. I slowly stood up, confused. I was sure I was holding onto that branch...

But then I felt something being clutched by my hands. And then a barely audible gasp left my throat.

I stared, wide-eyed, at the branch in my hands with incredulity. Did I just...? Yes, yes I did.

But how come I was able to break off the branch from the tree? I looked at the tree beside me and saw that a huge chunk has been ripped off from the body of it. Surely, this branch wasn't that strong for me to be able to tear it off... Right? But as I gazed at the branch and the tree back and forth, doubt slowly crept in. The thickness of the branch had to be at least both of my fists combined, and the length of it was half of my arm. My brain tried to come up with a reasonable explanation because what I just did was unbelievable and just plain impossible.

"Um... Dane?" I called out, still staring at the branch. When he didn't answer, I looked up and found out that he was already staring at me. Although he was surprised at what I just did, he didn't seem to be shocked and there wasn't an ounce of disbelief in his gaze.

A few moments of silence passed between us before I finally spoke,"I think there's something wrong with me."

"Uh," he stammered as his eyes suddenly refused to meet mine. "I need to get Dr. Andrews."

"Dane."

"Yes?" He was staring hard at the floor beneath his feet.

"Daniel."

"Hmm?" He was still avoiding my gaze.

I narrowed my eyes at him,"What are you not telling me?"

He sighed before looking at me straight in the eyes as he answered,"I believe there's something you need to know."

*~*~*

I sat, waiting inside Dr. Andrews' office. I kept biting my lip and scratching at my arms. I felt anxious and nervous at what Dane told me. And it really was no help that I was still feeling restless.