Chapter 8 ~ Letting Her Go

Chapter 8

I stumbled backwards, almost falling if it weren't for my hand grasping the door so tightly. My nails were sinking into the wood and I could already feel tiny bits of wood embedding into my nails.

My gasp brought them back to reality, both their heads snapping to mine. They immediately drew back from each other. They turned to face me and while the girl's eyes showed curiosity, Fawn was staring at me with shock and regret. He clearly didn't think I would be going here. But then his face went blank and I wondered if the previous emotions showing in his eyes were real or if I had just imagined it. Then when it didn't change, my heart sank at the pit of my stomach. Where was the Fawn I first met? The one that was smiling at me by the waterfall? The one that shows his emotions so openly to me?

But most of all, where was the Everly that was cautious, the Everly that doesn't trust so easily, the Everly who would be planning her escape by now and not engaging in other people's business? The Everly who won't feel this way after seeing Fawn and a girl kissing.

Because I couldn't see any trace of a that girl anymore, all I see is a girl whose heart was shattered by a man who she doesn't even know for more than a week. A man who clearly doesn't trust her enough to give her his name. And that girl beside him is a person that he clearly trusts. The moment his name left her lips, I knew. I knew the care that he has for her. Heck, maybe he even loves her.

As I saw his expressionless face, that same thing inside of me whimpered loudly. And as I finally acknowledged and noticed it, the whimpers suddenly faded. I started to question myself if there was really something or was I just so shocked and broken that I started to feel myself whimpering inside.

Five, six, seven seconds passed but none of us moved. I searched Fawn's face, hoping that what I saw earlier was just a glitch, that somehow what I saw was just a mistake. But as more seconds passed, the more reality was sinking in. Fawn kissed her, the girl kissed him. That's all on my mind right now. And I hated her. I hated the girl just because of the mere fact that he trusted her, and not me. My eyes kept flicking to the hand that was around the girl. I didn't even realize that I was glaring at it until Fawn cleared his throat.

My eyes met his which was covered in irritation, but before he could speak, the blonde-haired girl beat him to it. She blinked at me,"Can we help you?"

I gritted my teeth in annoyance, wanting nothing more than to strangle this girl and burn the part where Fawn was touching. I was surprised by my thoughts. When had I gotten so violent and possessive? You have no right to be possessive, Eve, because he was never even yours to begin with.

And just like that, my anger slowly dissipated and was overcome with sadness.

I swallowed the lump that formed in my throat, telling myself that there was no reason for me to feel this way when nothing was even going one between us. I felt my chest constrict with pain as I gazed at both of them, my eyes glazing with tears. I blinked it away before they noticed and did my best to let out a smile. I screamed, yelled, shouted to myself to just turn around and let them be but I seemed to be frozen on the spot. Finally, I gained up enough courage to speak.

"I-" I cleared my throat and winced when I heard how broken my voice sounded,"I-I'm really sorry for barging in. I- um, didn't realize there were people inside. I-I'm really sorry..." I didn't wait for their reply and dashed down the hall, a few tears escaping.

I know I'm pathetic but I'm afraid that if I stand there any longer, I might break. And if it's something I hate the most, it's crying in front of other people. What if I cried in front of them? I bet Fawn would just look at me repulsively, and who knows how the girl will think of me. I don't even want to know.