Chapter Forty Nine

((hello everyone!! sorry that it is has been so long since the last update, but here is chapter 49!! and also, here is another short promo video that I made for Desolation! i hope that you all like it!))

In a split second, everyone's eyes are upon me.

"What did you just say?" one of the men asks me.

Why is everyone so surprised?

"I said, I want to kill Hal. The leader of the horrible people who kidnapped," I say firmly.

"Tessa...," Tristan starts.

"What? Is there a problem with that?" I say, anger and frustration rising in my voice.

"No matter how much you want to, you cannot shoot him," one of the men says flatly.

A wave of fury surges up inside of me. I can literally feel the anger bubbling up inside of me like a pot of boiling water.

"Do you understand what this man did to us?! He kidnapped, starved, drugged and tortured us! He deserves to be killed, and...and I should be the one to shoot him," I shout.

Everyone is staring at me.

Finally, the man says,

"Yes, we understand. But you cannot just kill him; it's not right. We will take him into custody and determine his fate once we go back home."

Even though deep down I know what he is saying is right, I still can't shake off the rage inside of me. Oh, how badly I want the satisfaction of pointing a gun at Hal and pulling the trigger.

"Fine," I mumble through gritted teeth.

"Good. Now first, we will get these kids out of the cages. And then we'll go down to their headquarters to capture all of the men who are down there," the man says authoritatively.

The men begin to walk towards the cages. Tristan, Nikki, Dylan and I follow them, looking around uncomfortably at each other. I don't know exactly why, but I have an unnerving feeling of unease creeping up inside of me. A feeling that something is going to go wrong.

As we approach them, I look into the cages to see the four kids trembling. They stare up at the armed men with wide eyes.

"Aren't there supposed to five of you?" Dylan asks as we stop in front of them.

One of the girl's eyes begins to brim with tears. Oh no.

"Alec...he....he died a few days ago, before we got captured," she sobs, tears now streaming down her face.

"Oh...erm I'm sorry," Dylan says quickly.

There is an awkward silence.

Finally, Daniel asks,

"So how are you guys getting us out of these cages?"

We all turn towards the men.

"Um...this is more difficult than we thought it would be," the leader says uncomfortably.

"What the hell do you mean, more difficult than you thought it would be? Did you not think that they were locked up in metal cages with no way out?!" Dylan exclaims incredulously.

I cringe. All of the men turn around and look at Dylan, who cowers back slightly.

"What's your name kid?" the man says gruffly.

I swallow hard and look at Dylan nervously. This man does not seem to be accepting Dylan's attitude.

"Dylan," he replies, an edge of worry in his normally fearless voice.