Chapter Forty Eight

((hope that you all enjoy this chapter!! don't forget to vote and comment! and omg, desolation is almost at 100k reads!!! ahhh i am so happy))

I watch, frozen in a shocked silence, as Eve's body falls from the lifting helicopter down to the beach.

Ian. Just. Killed. Eve.

It's as if everything is going in slow motion; I cannot process what just happened. All that I can do is stare at Eve's crumpled, lifeless body. My insides churn when I look into her glassy eyes, which are illuminated by the moonlight.

And then, before I can move a muscle, the gunfire starts.

I duck as the men from the helicopter begin to shoot down with their guns.

But not at me.

At Ian.

I watch in horror as Ian runs, dodging the bullets as they zip past his head. He is going to get shot; there's no denying it.

I have to do something.

"STOP! STOP RIGHT NOW!" I scream at the top of my lungs, throwing my arms up in the air.

But the men continue to ruthlessly shoot at Ian. He continues to run away as fast as he can, but the bullets whizzing through the air nearly hit him every time. Then, my heart stops when I hear Ian scream out in pain. I whip around to see him laying on the ground, holding his leg and shouting out in agony.

He has been shot. And they are still continuing to shoot at him.

They are going to kill him.

I then do something that requires every ounce of courage I have inside of me. I step right in front of where they are firing.

Immediately, all of the men stop firing and stare at me, with their guns at the ready. The helicopter stops lifting and hovers in the air a few feet above us. I stare back at them breathlessly, utter terror in my eyes.

"What do you want?" one of them says gruffly.

"Stop shooting at him. Please," I say weakly, my voice trembling.

The men raise their guns and point them at me. Instantly, my heart begins to pound in my chest. I throw my arms up in the air, then shout,

"Please, don't shoot! You shot him already, isn't that enough?"

By now, tears are uncontrollably screaming down my face. All of the men continue to stare at me, bewildered looks on their faces. I can hear Ian whimpering in pain behind me.

"Please...we're all innocent," I say desperately.

"That boy just killed her. He is not innocent," one of the men says, pointing the tip of his gun down to Eve's body.

I turn around and look back at Ian, who is laying down on the sand and grasping his bloody leg. I then turn back to them and cry,

"Look, I know he just shot at her. But listen to me right now; we all have been kidnapped on this island for weeks. We are starving. We are tired. We have no memories, and we are starting to go crazy. I swear to God, Ian did not mean to shoot her. So please....please don't kill him."

The men scrutinize me for a few moments.

"I think she's gone mad," I hear one of the men say to the others.

"I'm not crazy!" I shout, my voice rising with anger.

No one can understand everything that we have been through.

"Please, all that we want is to get off of this island and get far away from the horrible people that have trapped us here. We...we want to go home, wherever home is," I say, my voice breaking.