Chapter Twenty Nine

((I hope that you all enjoy this chapter! Don't forget to vote and comment! And thank you all so much for 4.5k reads! I am so happy with how far this story has come and I am excited to see how far it will go!))

"Maybe nothing's going to happen," Nikki says, breaking the foreboding silence.

By the now, it is dark. The moon has risen in the sky, a full moon that bathes the beach in an eerie light. We all stand there on the sand, facing the dark, ominous jungle. Waiting. Waiting for something to happen.

And still, nothing has happened.

As much as I want to believe what Nikki said, I have a bad feeling that it is not true. They are not going to leave us alone. We didn't come back like they wanted us to, and I know that we are going to face the consequences.

A chill shivers down my spine as a gust of wind blows the air, whipping my hair in all direction. It has finally cooled off.

Ian shifts the gun in his hands, still pointing it at the jungle.

"It's strange how nothing has happened. They said that we had until sunset to come back or else something would happen. It's nighttime now" Tristan says quietly.

Even though no one has come, I have the strange, unsettling feeling that we are being watched. The hairs on the back of my neck are spiked up in apprehension. I look behind me, but there is nothing but the calm waves lapping up on the shore.

Then suddenly, I hear it.

A faint crack sounds from the jungle.

I immediately tense up, my heart beginning to pound in my chest. I try to remind myself that it could be nothing. It could be just animal. But something deep down inside of me tells me that it's not.

They're here.

Ian raises his gun, putting his finger on the trigger when we hear another crack, this time slightly louder. Still, no one has emerged from the jungle yet.

I want to run, but I physically cannot. I am rooted to the ground, frozen with pure fear. 

Crack.

Then, my heart stops when I see people emerge from the dark depths of the jungle. People in long white lab coats, holding guns in their hands. 

Pointed at us.

Then, bile rises in my throat when one man walks forward in front of the others.

Hal.

He walks forward, stopping about fifteen feet away from us.

"Now we can do this the easy way or the hard way" he says icily, breaking the deafening silence.

None of us reply. Instead, we all glare at him with hatred in our eyes. Hatred for the man who has imprisoned us here on this island.

"If we do this the easy way, no one will get hurt. All that I'm asking that you come with us" Hal says.

Still, no one moves or says anything. We continue to stare at fiercely.

"I promise, if you come with us, no one will get hurt" Hal says again.

Then Ian says,

"We're not coming back"

Hal eyes Ian, smiling his malicious smile.

He then asks,

"Where did you get the gun Ian?"

"It's none of your fucking business" Ian growls.

"I believe it is my business. Everything that happens on this island is" Hal says coldly.