Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Vince is currently staying at his mother’s house. She asked him if he could pay a visit or stay with her even for a few days. He gave in because since he became busy with his business, he wasn’t able to see her often. He also wanted to talk to his mom about his discovery of Eunice’s secret and his plan on marrying her. He knew she could be trusted about the details. He doesn’t want to let the story out unless Eunice would outrun him again.

He can’t wait to know about Eunice’s decision. He really gave her an ultimatum. Well, he is desperate now.  And knowing Eunice, she can really be so stubborn, that is why he threatened her about Von.  Eunice will surely do anything for her son.

“Vince, are you alright?” Asked his mom as he entered the house.  He is thinking now how to start the conversation with her.

“I am fine, mom.” He gave her a kiss on the forehead before he sat on the couch.

“Oh, you know what, I am really glad that you are here, son.  Do you have any business transaction here?” Asked his mom.

“No, mom.  It’s about Eunice.” He stated.

“Eunice? Why? How is she? Did you meet her?” His mom asked not hiding the excitement in her voice.

“Yes, we just met recently. In fact, I was with her before I came here.” He said calmly despite the fact that he is still pissed from their last conversation.

“Why didn’t you bring her here? I really missed that girl.” His mom was so fond with his best friend before. She dreamt of having a daughter then and Eunice would always stay at their house and visit his mom.

“Soon, mom.  I was just waiting for her answer.” He told her.

“What do you mean?” He sighed and took a deep breath before he speaks again.

“I proposed to her.” He quietly said.

“What? Why did you propose to her? How long have you been together? I never heard it in the news. She’s a celebrity now, Vince. Surely, I could hear rumors about you and her dating. Why didn’t you tell me about it?” A lot of questions came out from his mother's mouth.

“I’m sorry mom, but I only met her recently.  You know, there’s really something you have to know.” He can see the confused look in his mother’s face.

“What is it? You are making me nervous right now.”

“I…I have a son.” He blurted it out. He saw his mom slowly sitting on the other end of the couch.

“W-What? With whom?” Shock is  still visible on his mother's face.

“With Eunice.” He can see a lot of emotions from his mom.

“How? When did it happen?” She managed to ask him.

“He is almost five years old now.” He can’t help himself from smiling when he talked about his son. He is really wondering what he looks like. He only knew the name of his son and he cannot wait to see him.

“Why did she hide him from you? Five years, Vince.  How did you learn about it?”

“I asked Patrick’s help to look into it. He’s really good, mom.  I learned that Eunice’s manager made sure that her pregnancy won’t go public. She pursued modeling after she gave birth to Von.”

“So, Von is his name?” Asked his mom softly.

“Yes. I heard his voice once, but I haven’t seen him.” He answered. A tinge of sadness in his voice that makes him feel more anxious to see Von soon.

“Did you talk to Eunice about it? Is it fine with her if we can see my grandson?” He can see the excitement in her mother’s eyes.

“That’s the problem, mom. She’s been trying to hide the truth from me. She is afraid that I might get my son away from her. I love her, mom, even before. I told her about my feelings when we were in Hawaii but she just left me again. I got angry with her that’s why I threatened her that I will fight my right for Von and exposed her secret if she won’t marry me.” He explained to her.

“Whoa! That’s really mean, son.  It wasn’t that obvious that you were desperate to have her.” He saw his mom smiled for the first time since they talked.

“She gave me no choice. That woman is really stubborn. Why can’t she believe me that I love her?” He asked her mom.

“Maybe because she didn’t feel it, son. You should try to convince her that you really love her. I will tell you a secret, son.  Eunice had loved you before. I saw it in her eyes then with the way she looks at you. You were just too blind to have not noticed it.”

“I was young then, mom. And we were the best of friends. I wasn’t aware that she has that kind of feeling for me. Eunice has been a constant part of my life before.  I thought she wouldn’t leave me after what happened to us. I was willing to marry her back then, but she chose to hide from me.”

“We can’t blame her, son. She doesn’t know how you would react after what happened between you two. And I remembered that you were still mending a broken heart then because of that ex-girlfriend of yours. Maybe she was afraid that you would reject her. One thing for sure is that she was afraid that she has ruined your friendship.” His mom is right.  But certainly things would have been different if Eunice did not leave him.

“I hope you can settle this down, Vince. You both have a son now.  And I really admire Eunice for facing motherhood alone. She managed to become a supermodel and even tried to hide her son from the public’s eyes. Who knows what she had been through before? You should try to be nice to her, son.”

“I don’t know, mom. I tried to be nice to her, but she just ignored me. That’s why I changed my plan. I am sure she will say yes.” He confidently said. He knew that anytime soon, he would hear from Eunice. And he is waiting for it.