My One & Only

Chapter 1

Summer and the sun is so hot in the sky, birds flying over the trees and the waves splashing on the ocean. Many people staying on the beach and enjoying the summer heat. I scanned the area looking for my friends, it's been so long now that we have our reunion with my college friends since graduation. Few of them have their own family now and some got a stable job in some of the prestigious companies in town, while I stayed single and still looking for a nice guy to go on a date and hopefully meet my own partner for life. Or maybe just stay single with only Von by my side, my biggest treasure. I smiled at the thought.

While walking along the beach trying not to get any attention from anyone, I saw him. I didn't think he'll join in our reunion after what happened before. As far as I know, he's not really that acquainted with our college friends because he was always busy with his strings of girls back then. Well, it's already in the past and I thought I could manage not to talk to him while on the beach. I tried to walk past him when he said hi and smiled at me. Here it goes, I think.

"Oh, hey." I said, wasn't able to ignore his cute smile.

"Mind for a chat?" he asked me.

"Well, it depends on what you're up to." I said with a smirk trying hard to control my feelings for this unexpected chat.

"Uhm, I just want to know how you have been since..." he said hesitating and intensely looking at me.

"Oh come on,Vince.  Don't tell me you haven't moved on after five years? It's really not good to dwell in the past you know." I answered.

"Yeah, you're maybe right. But still, I would love to know everything that happened to you since you left me that day." He said emphasizing each word at me coldly.

I don't want to talk about it coz it was the worst decision I ever made. But I can't let him know that, right? And I also gained a treasure because of it.

"What can I say? Well, I guess I made the right decision 'coz you are what you are right now. I guess you have reached your dreams and probably having a good life. Look at you, you surely has this aura of authority in you. I'm glad that you're doing well." I said smiling then added while turning around at our friends, "And I think, the girls are calling me now so I should go and hope you enjoy the rest of the day. Goodbye, Vince." I walked hurriedly away from him. Giving him no chance to say anything he would say. Surely, things won't be the same if I'm gonna spill the beans now.

"Gosh! Why is he here?" I said to myself, still feeling the intensity of that talk. I can't believe that I'm still into him after five long years. He still has this effect on me. I need to go now and forget that I met him. I thought I'm all over him and will be able to face him after what happened. Memories were flooding through my mind while walking back to the cottage.

March 2007

"Eunice!" called Vince, my best friend since childhood. He made my name sound like unique; he said he loves to call me that way. He's the one who's been with me since I lost my dad; his family is living across our house. It's easier for both of us to get along with coz we're both an only child. Vince's father is a bank magnate while his mother is an owner of a fashion boutique. We grew up together and we were enrolled in the same school. He was like my big brother for he was the one I would run to when I've been bullied at school. And he's always been there for me, until one girl stole away his attention.

"Hey! What's the matter, Mr. Playboy?" I asked, teasing him.

"Guess what? She just said yes!" he said eyes glowing. He seemed really happy today that sent sad waves straight to my heart.

"Who?" I asked, annoyed. I don't want to hear the answer 'coz it only means that he's in love again for the nth time. And I just don't like it. I don't want Vince to be with another girl.

"Amanda, the one I'm telling you before." He said grinning.

"Oh, lucky you. Congrats!" I said trying to sound cool. Well, what's new? Vince is really a good looking guy and I can't blame those girls from swooning and flirting with him. We're graduating this year, and I can't count all the girls who have been charmed by my best friend since day one in our college life not mentioning back in our high school days. I could list a lot of girls' names on a sheet of paper, and here it goes again another one to the list.

"So, would you like to join with us? We're having dinner on our favorite resto. I would really like you to be there and officially meet her. Please." He said holding my hands and made those puppy eyes staring at me.

"Sorry Vince but I can't. I'm busy working on my thesis." I said simply trying to hide my disappointment about him bringing the girl in our favorite resto.

Why can't he just bring her somewhere? Ugh! I really hate you,Vince!

"Oh, Eunice, please. Just this once, you've been avoiding me these past few days and I don't even know what you're working on. Can't you just spare me some time now?" he insists.

"How could you say that? I'm not avoiding you Vince, it's just that I'm so busy now, remember we're graduating and I can't just ignore it. I'm not like you who love to do a lot of extra activities." I stood up, gathered my things and walked away from him.

"But Eunice..." he followed me.

"No buts okay...I'm leaving. Just enjoy your dinner."