twenty-eight

Winnie stood in her bedroom with her arms crossed, dressed to the 9s for Lydia's birthday party. "I don't like this."

Pete, Libby, and Jake stood across from her, all rolling their eyes as Winnie blocked the door out.

Libby wore a flattering dress, her hair done up flawlessly. "Win, come on."

Both Pete and Jake wore nice outfits, prepared to go out.

"Come on, sis, we can handle it." Pete ran a hand though his hair as he sat on the edge of Winnie's bed.

Winnie took in a deep inhale, staring down her friends. "Fine."

Libby cheered, grabbing her phone before walking past Winnie and making it into the hall.

Winnie grumbled, moving to the side to let them out. "I'm driving," she called to them as she picked up a tote with drawing supplies. She scooped her keys off the dresser and joined her friends in the hall. "If anything goes wrong-"

"We bail," they all rang together as they went downstairs in a jumbled line.

Winnie groaned, following them out to the Malibu parked in front of the house. "Smart asses," she mumbled while unlocking the car.

"Damn," Jake remarked as he climbed in to the back of the Malibu with admiration in his features. "One hell of a step up from your other ride."

Pete scoffed, "Unfair is what it is. I always get stuff second hand. You go to California and get a new car while I thought you'd be jealous I get to drive your baby."

"For now, P," reminded Winnie as she started the engine. "That's still my car."

Pete shook his head lightly, lowering his voice as he buckled his seat belt. "Like you're coming back."

Winnie narrowed her eyes, looking back to her brother. "What do you mean? Of course I'm coming back. You guys don't..." she glanced to Libby and Jake, none of them speaking. "It's a month, not forever. Of course I'm coming back to Colorado."

"Win," Jake hesitantly started, "you're kind of deep into it here. Even we can see that. Do you really think you'll be able to just pick up and leave?"

The brunette's lips parted, unable to come up with anything. "I...but I don't belong here."

"Even we know that isn't true," Libby softly said.

Winnie bit her bottom lip, turning back to face the front. She swallowed uncomfortably, turning on the radio as she left the driveway. "So," she said after a moment while keeping her eyes on the road, "I don't know how this'll go down, but Lydia is a little...off."

"What, are we normal?" questioned Jake as he adjusted his maroon bowtie absently.

"Comapred to them?" Winnie lightly scoffed as she headed towards Lydia's. "Absolutely. Just, be nice. And try not to piss off Scott. He's on thin ice tonight because of the moon."

"I bet werewolves are chill," Libby said despite not meaning for the thought to leave her head. She caught the strange looks from her friends. "I mean...y'know when they're not raging out."

"Great idealization, Libs," Pete noted as he poked around on his phone. "You've surely watched Twilight enough."

"I've never-"

"That's not what Jasper said-"

"Pete!" Winnie interrupted sharply as she drove.

The car fell silent, everyone including Pete surprised at what he'd said.